We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days - where should we go?

Yamhill, Oregon
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 days - where should we go?

My husband and I will be on the east coast in May and have some free time & a rental car. We will be driving out of NYC (yikes) on a Monday afternoon and will need to be in Providence, RI on Wednesday afternoon.

We enjoy beautiful drives, would like to see the coast at some point, good (but not super expensive) food, scenic locations, architecture, etc. We aren't interested in shopping or museums. We're both in our early thirties. We have heard great things about Keene and Portsmouth and are open to visiting both places. I know this is the New Hampshire forum but would you recommend spending most of our time in New Hampshire or split between New Hampshire and the Connecticut/Rhode Island coast? Or something completely different?

All recommendations (for areas, drives, food, lodging, things to do, etc) welcome!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days - where should we go?

Quite honestly, if you've only got two days, I wouldn't even head to NH (though it breaks my heart to say it). Tour Connecticut and Rhode Island - there are some beautiful places in those two states, including some beautiful little coastal towns. A trip to NH and back would just be too much, in my opinion.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days - where should we go?

The CT coast has plenty of beauty. I would explore the coast there and head to Newport RI for a few days.

The mansions are beautiful and the city is great.

www.newportmansions.org/

Here is an article I found on 10 things to do in Newport for a day.

visitri.com/current_category.2506/…

If you want to extend your drive head out towards Cape Cod. Providence is an easy drive from there.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days - where should we go?

You could catch the ferry from New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard for a very nice daytrip or overnight stay. Shouldn't be crowded as it is way pre season. I also recommend Newport. Come back for NH another time. It will be worth it.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days - where should we go?

You really do not have the time to make it up to Portsmouth, NH and to really enjoy yourselves.

I agree with the others go to Newport, Rhode Island.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days - where should we go?

I would suggest that if you plan another trip to New Hampshire, then everyone would tell you to head to the White Mountains and then you still will miss the opportunity to visit the Keene area. It is only about 2.5 hrs to Providence from Keene and there are lots of nice places to stay, good restaurants as well as a brew pub, filled with beautiful scenery including covered bridges, interesting old buildings etc. It is a 4 hr drive from NYC. Definitely less touristy, but infinitely more relaxed.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days - where should we go?

I'll say it again - I agree with weaver. Southern NH dose not get enough credit. It is a great area with loads of places to stay and eat and exceptional views. You are also close to Westerm Mass and the Berkshires with the Mohawk Trail

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days - where should we go?

I agree with most of the oters NH is a stretch. Stick to RI and CT as well as South Coast Mass around Westport, So Dartmouth and Tiverton, RI. Save NH, VT and ME for a stand alone trip.

8. Re: 2 days - where should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 00:19