We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

We are at the Chatham Bars inn in Cape cod. we will be traveling to Portsmouth june 24. I am traveling with my husband and are looking for upscale places for 3 or 4 nights on route to Quebec City. We enjoying biking, hiking, kayaking and visiting charming towns. We would love to stay on a quiet lake or have mountian views. We are thinking of a couple of nights in N.H. and a couple in vermont.

The other option is 2 nights somewhere and staying at the Ripplecove Inn in Quebec to break up the drive.

Any input would be so appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Sally

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

Bretton Woods, NH.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

Thanks for the reply. Bretton Woods would be great, but i am not finding many places to stay. Mt. Washington hotel is being remodled I think i want to risk construction.

Any other suggustions are appreciated.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

The Balsams

http://www.thebalsams.com/

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

so many possibilities. In Vt, I would suggest Equinox Inn for the grand hotel type experience or any of the many great B&B's such as Hill Farm Inn in Manchester. You can find great lodging in Stowe or many other places depending on your route. In Jackson, NH you have the Wentworth or Inn at Thorn Hill for a great experience.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

Hopefully this isn't too late for your plans! Think about driving to Burlington, VT., that's where you want to stop over night with this type of a drive. This way the next morning you'll be in Canada. It's where my sister & her family stop all the time on their way up to Canada every summer. It's especially a good stopping point from your jaunt up from Cape Cod. Not only that, it's got a lot to offer there, look for the Marriott in Burlington! It comes highly recommended (#1) on Trip Advisor, so check it out online right here.

I was just in Chatham over the weekend myself; we drove up really late Sunday night to avoid the traffic, it was smooth sailing all the way up! It's great that they got rid of that rotary at the Sagamore Bridge. WHAT a difference getting through there now, it's awesome!

Good luck and have a wonderful time!

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

The southwest corner of NH could be a possibility. There are bike trails, gentle or strenuous hiking, covered bridges, kayaking, great restaurants in Keene and Peterborough, nice inns (www.nhlodging.org),towns with white steepled meeting houses, berry picking. It's about a two hour drive from Portsmouth.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

Rabbit Hill Inn in Lower Waterford, VT. It's right on the NH border. Would be a good base for visiting the White Mountains and Northeast Vermont.

Another idea in the general area is the Mountain View Grand in Whitefield, NH. It's a beautifully restored old hotel. We spent a weekend there this past winter and had a ball.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

Rabbit Hill Inn looks great. We just did a quick overnight in Portsmouth and are heading to the lakes area and white mountains. That could be a great place to end up. I wiil report back on where we end up.

thanks for all the input.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

Also we do really like Burlington. As this area is the only unplaned part of our 3 week trip we should have fun exploring.

Also we really liked Chatham, but loved Proviencetown. All in all had a great time on the cape.

Sally

10. Re: Upscale lodging on route from Portsmouth to Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 23:18