We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Mt. Washington to Bar Harbor

Chicago
3 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Mt. Washington to Bar Harbor

My family is exploring the New England area and trying to allow the right amount of time at each location is troubling me. Does anyone know how long (in time) the drive is from Mt. Washington area in NH to Bar Harbor? If too long for an evening trip, are there any suggestions on a hotel stop?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Mt. Washington to Bar Harbor

According to Mapquest, it is 4 hours 40 minutes. Maybe someone could chime in on the difference between taking 95N up to Bangor and back down vs the more direct route of Rt 3/1 into Bar Harbor. That is slightly shorter distance but around the same travel time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,528 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Mt. Washington to Bar Harbor

I haven't done either of the routes you've mentioned, but I would allow all of the time that MapQuest quotes, and then some. Here's why. When I visited New England (from Portland ME to North Conway NH) in March I saw the extreme damage that the roads have suffered this year due to the cold weather and frost damage. Pot holes and frost heaves were everywhere and I understand that even more damage has taken place since then. So whatever you decide, I would stay on the major roads and highways and beware of damage to the roads and pavement that could cause severe damage to your vehicle.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Mt. Washington to Bar Harbor

I think RedRox may be making too much of the damaged roads. I don't want you to think that you will be driving broken up roads. Winter can take its toll, but the state highway departments are constantly out there fixing them and repaving. I used to joke that the first sign of spring in New England is road work.

The real issue is that the route across from MT Washington to Bar Harbor, as a matter of fact, most of the roads in NH and ME, are two lane roads. This is different from what you may be used to in the nexus of Interstate highways in Chicago and the northern midwest, and where the roads, superhighway or two lane country roads, stretch out as straight and flat as the countryside (maybe a little less so in central Wisconsin).

The roads in NH, ME and VT wind across and around mountains, lakes, and constant hills until you reach the coast. It can be slow and tiring driving, especially for those unused to this kind of driving and unfamiliar with where you are going.

You ask about an evening trip. Driving at night, the roads are mostly unlit. Most of the area between Mt Washington and the coast is sparsely populated, many small towns, but not much commerce, and most of it will close between 6 and 9PM. And most of the commerce, whether restaurants, markets, motels/hotels, etc. are all locally owned, mom-and-pops. No Marriotts or Applebees along Rte 2. Maybe the very occasional fast food chain.

That said, this some of the most beautiful, picturesque country in New England, well worth a daytime drive. You could stop in some local cafe for lunch and get some great home cooking. There are craft shops, antiques and unique local attractions. Depending on the time of year, there may be festivals, fairs and other events. Check the NH and Maine tourism websites for attractions and events, as well as for places to stay. There are many lovely B&Bs and Inns across this area that would be well worth a night's stay. I cannot recommend a particular one, but they all have websites these days.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,528 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Mt. Washington to Bar Harbor

I didn't mean to overstate the road damage issue, but if you put my comments together with what NextStopls told you, it makes a good argument for doing the drive in daylight/ Take your time and enjoy the drive. It's going to take a while and it's as good as the destination, if you do it right.

5. Re: Drive from Mt. Washington to Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 04:16