We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seacoast area: kayaking and biking suggestions?

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Seacoast area: kayaking and biking suggestions?

Hi: We are heading to Portsmouth July 18-20 for a last minute weekend. We'd like to find a spot to spend 2-3 hours in our small 10' kayaks (not sea kayaks). A friend suggested a place near UNH where the crew team practices - anyone know the name or where this is? Other thoughts on still water (we'll have one car so can't do a river) locations?

Also, we'd like to bike somewhere in/around Portsmouth. Are there any bike paths? If we rode our bikes downtown, are there places to lock them up?

Thanks!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seacoast area: kayaking and biking suggestions?

I don't know the specific area you are talking about, but I think some of the most interesting kayaking around the seacoast would be in the salt marshes or in Great Bay. There is a park where Rte 4 meets Rte 16 where you could put your kayaks into the Piscataqua River, paddle around under the bridge, and explore Great Bay. I think the park is called Dover Point, but I am not sure. You might do better to find a park on the Great Bay side, so you won't have to contend with the tidal and river currents in the Piscataqua. You might want to look at the NH Tourism site www.visitnh.gov and see what you can find. They should have info on kayaking. Here is a link to a Google map of the Bay:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=portsmouth%2C+nh&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS252US252

As for bike paths, I have always enjoyed biking along the coastal route - Rte 1A - that goes past all the beaches and harbors from south of Portsmouth to Hampton and south. I would drive from Portsmouth on Rte 1A to Odiorne Point and park there. Or you could certainly cycle from Portsmouth down to the coast.

2. Re: Seacoast area: kayaking and biking suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 11:22