We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Washington by car and Factory Outlet shopping: Hotel ?

Ottawa, Ontario
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mount Washington by car and Factory Outlet shopping: Hotel ?

Good day folks, we are planning a trip to New Hampshire for the first weekend of August.

We are coming from Canada and that weekend is a long weekend in Canada so we will leave our place on Saturday morning and make the 6 or 6.5 hours trip to New Hampshire. We will come back to Canada on Monday August 4th in the afternoon.

So far we plan to climb Mount Washington by car and to visit a factory outlet for some shopping. It will either be North Concord or Tilton, whichever one is closer to Mount Washington.

Could you please recommend some accomodations ? We prefer to book via PriceLine but we don't mind local motels that you have had good experience with. Also if there is any other attractions in New Hampshire that you think we can check out, considering our timeframe and locations, I am all ears.

Thank you very much!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Washington by car and Factory Outlet shopping: Hotel ?

Mt. Washington is a long way from the Concord / Tilton outlets...from Conway via I-93 a good two hours - I'd skip the drive south and shop the outlets in North Conway...If you insist on driving to concord...I'd plan a stay over half way between the two...Franconia is a great choice. Forget Priceline...may be a good option for the big cities...but in rural NH, better to go with reviews posted on TripAdvisor...happy trails.

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Washington by car and Factory Outlet shopping: Hotel ?

I totally agree. North Conway is better shopping than Tilton, and you're much closer to Mt Washington.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Washington by car and Factory Outlet shopping: Hotel ?

Ok there is a TON to do in NH but to keep you focus on an area...what is your price range on the hotel and how physically active are you? Just South of the Mr Washington auto Road is WildCat Mountain with a Goldola up to the top and a Zip line adventure. Lots of great hikes along that highway as well. Keep goin and you will reach Jackson, than Glen and Turn into North Conway. Great town with lots of trendy shops and restaurants. Keep going from there and you'll find the outlets. Attitash Mountain is in the neighborhood and also has Alpine slides other fun stuff. After the outlets hop non the Kanc for BEAUTIFUL views. It will end in Lincon for more restaurants and shops. head North from there for the loop and visit the former site of THe old man of the Mountain. The Flume Gorge is there and is an amazing hike well worth the stop. It has a boardwalk system and a bus option if you are less than physically able (my 3 year old made the hike fine) Also in the neighborheed of Lincoln is the Lost Gorge. If you are physically spry this is a fun system of caves that you can crawl through and explore. Near by the Flume Gorge is Cannon Mountain which also offers a tramway up the mountain. All along the entire trip are good day hikes of varying degrees. Pick up the AMC White Mountain Bible for ideas. THeir web is www.outdoors.org but the book can be bought in most major book stores in the Travel section (although I live in NE so who knows else where.) You won't want to leave. Its a great place to visit.

Ottawa, Ontario
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Washington by car and Factory Outlet shopping: Hotel ?

Thanks for the info folks, really appreciate it.

I looked at some Bed and Breakfast but the prices are a bit high up for our tastes so I am hoping to score a good deal with the Holiday Inn Express in North Conway. I have read the reviews here and majority is positive.

We will use that as our so-called base to do different activities. For now, the Mount Washington Auto Road and the Settlers Green Village Outlet in North Conway are on our list. I will possibly add the Flume Gorge and the Lost Gorge, that should be decent for 2 days, add in about 13 hours of driving from our place to NH and back and we should have enough things to do for the 3-day long weekend.

Cheers!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Washington by car and Factory Outlet shopping: Hotel ?

I have met alot of Canadians coming down to shop. The weak US dollar is good for you- EH!!!

For a short trip, I don't think you need to go to Lost River and Flume gorge. With the price of gas, you don't need to travel across the Kanc twice and it would be a very long day to do both together. Glen Ellis Falls which is right by MW is a great sight, Lost Pond which is a short hike across from Pinkham Notch is great for a short hike and you can climb to the top of the cliffs (without actually climbing the cliffs). A day trip across the Kanc returning by Rt 302 is worth the trip. Do stop at Crawford Notch and at the MW hotel (if it is open to tourists again).

6. Re: Mount Washington by car and Factory Outlet shopping: Hotel ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:17