We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

My husband and I will have 6 hours to drive from Manchester to Jackson and were wondering if there were any good stops on the way. We plan on coming up 93 to the Kancamagus Pass to 302. We will need a place to eat lunch and wouldn't mind stopping for a quick hike,an scenic overlook, a covered bride,a mom-and-pop local store, or brewery. We were also wondering if anyone had any suggestions for dinner somewhere around Jackson (where we are staying for the night). Thank you!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,812 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

he Thompson House Eatery is the best place in Jackson for dinner. Has been for many years. We also like Yesterdays for breakfast or lunch.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

Lincoln and N Woodstock will be right at the junction of 93 and the Kanc. Head a few exits North on 93 and hike the Flume Gorge. It is an easy hike and absolutley beautiful. http://www.visitnh.gov/flume/index.html

Have a nice lunch at the Woodstock Inn & Brewery

http://www.woodstockinnnh.com/

Head from there through the middle of Lincoln towards the Kanc. The street is lined with more restaurants and shops if you are looking for more to do/see. http://www.lincolnwoodstock.com/

MORE great hiking right on the other side of town. The parking lot is on the left. Than hop on the Kanc and enjoy the rest of your ride. If you want to skip the traffic of the outlet shops in Conway, take a left onto Bear Notch road (closed in winter) near the tail end of the Kanc. That will dump you out into the little Village of Barlett. As you head over to Jackson from there stop at the White Mountain Cider Co.

http://www.whitemountaincider.com/

Its a short drive from there to Jackson.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

Ah! Thank you! Awesome! How long do you think it will take to hike the flume? We land in Manchester at 9:30 AM and can't check into our hotel in Jackson until 4PM. Will this allow enough time for what you described hike the Flume and look around that area? Also, do we need reservations at the restaurants that you suggested?

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

No reservations should be needed at the Woodstock Inn. The flume is a very easy hike. My 3 and 5 year olds managed fine. Plus there is a bus you can take up to a halfway point if you are pressed for time. I'm going to guesstimate no more than 2 hours but there is a great info center at the bottom that you can poke around in and another place halfway up with info on the creation of the gorge and stuff. It can really take as long as you want but on the shortest side 1.5 hours.

The restaurant at White Cider is new. I really like their country store gift shop so that's why I send people that way but now that I have seen that they have a new restaurant and the menu I will be trying to get there sometime. I wouldn't worry about reservations. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area and it is close enough to Jackson that if you wanted to go back during your stay it wouldn't be out of the way.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,812 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

Reservations are recommended at Thompson House.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

Thank you so much Red and Boston! Since you've been so helpful... any ideas (same type of thing) for our second day in NH? We will be leaving Jackson and heading up to Dixville notch for 2 days. Any ideas?

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

Be sure to take the Autoroad up to the top of Mount Washinton. It is a must do. Gorham is North of Jackson and looks like a neat town. Once you get North from there I am no help. I am a White Mountains junkie and love the Mount Washinton Valley and Pemi Range. I never seem to travel much North from there. Have a great trip!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,812 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

Can't tell you much about Dixville Notch. But take your time on the first leg up through Pinkham Notch. Stop at the AMC center aka Porky Gulch and check out the weather conditions on Mt Washington. If the weather is good, consider taking the trip up the auto road. The beginning is just a couple miles further up Rt 16. You can drive it yourself, or you can ride in one of the chauffered coaches. If conditions on the summit are forecast to be bad, then a second option would be to ride the gondolas up Wildcat Mtn, on the opposite side of the notch. That's about a 1/2 mile up Rt 16 on the right. Wildcat is about 1500 feet lower in elevation than Mt Washington, so weather conditions will be much less severe. Do one or the other, unless weather is prohibitive.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

Driving up to Dixville Notch should be quite beautiful. This is the real North Country. Quite sparsely populated. It is also moose country. You should see a lot of moose along the road, even in the towns, especially if you are driving at dusk. They are very large animals and quite fearless. Not good to hit broadside with your car. They can do serious damage. Scan the road into the trees as you drive. Much like deer, they will run out of the woods unexpectedly. But they are quite majestic to see and watch. A real treat and a reward for heading into the North Country where few tourists tread.

Gorham has some nice shops and restaurants. There is an excellent Italian deli that serves meals, too. SOmething with a "P" I think. Berlin is an old paper mill town, where the mill has recently closed. Stop and spend some money. The Dairy Bar, north of town on Rte 16 has good home cooking and great desserts. As you head out Rte 16 you may notice the old ski jump on the hills on the left.

The towns north of Berlini are small. But you will be in beautiful country with lots of nature and wildlife.

Enjoy

10. Re: Any good stops between Manchester and Jackson NH?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:19