We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

My son is a train enthusiast, so I am thinking about booking a trip to NH to ride on the cog railroad. I am trying to figure out when would be the best time to come. The autumn foliage sounds tempting, but probably very crowded time to visit, what with the appeal of leaves combined with the nearby fair. Would it be better to wait until winter, and try to combine the visit with teaching him to downhill ski? Can you learn to downhill ski in this area?

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

^^^ SO sorry to have posted three times. I'm a clutz!

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

My husband and I rode the Cog Rail up Mt. Washington in July 2005, and it was quite busy even then. If you take the first or last trip up (9 a.m. and 4 p.m.) there are some discounts that are applicable, and they're usually the least crowded rides. Just get there early to get your tickets (even if you're reserved them) so you two will be able to find a good seat together. Since you don't really see too much in the ways of scenery on the ascending hour trip, you guys might consider sitting in the back on the way up because the engine actually pushes the train up from behind, and your son will get a better view. The observatory and little trails up top though give you a great view, and I would think Fall would be a wonderful time to be there.

As far as downhill skiing, unfortunately, I can't help you much there! You might want to check out this link: www.mountwashingtoncograilwayskitrains.com/

Hope you two have a great time. It'll make a great trip for any kid who loves trains!

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

My husband and I rode the Cog Rail up Mt. Washington in July 2005, and it was quite busy even then. If you take the first or last trip up (9 a.m. and 4 p.m.) there are some discounts that are applicable, and they're usually the least crowded rides. Just get there early to get your tickets (even if you're reserved them) so you two will be able to find a good seat together. Since you don't really see too much in the ways of scenery on the ascending hour trip, you guys might consider sitting in the back on the way up because the engine actually pushes the train up from behind, and your son will get a better view. The observatory and little trails up top though give you a great view, and I would think Fall would be a wonderful time to be there.

As far as downhill skiing, unfortunately, I can't help you much there! You might want to check out this link: www.mountwashingtoncograilwayskitrains.com/

Hope you two have a great time. It'll make a great trip for any kid who loves trains!

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

Chicago, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

Oops --- I apparently posted three times too! Sorry!

Franconia, NH
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

The Cog is a great ride anytime of year and usually crowded...Foliage is the best time of the year...with space being more available during the week...Would not recommend the winter ski train as it doesn't ascend to the top of the montain...probably only goes a third of the way up to the Waumbeck Tower...and the skiing down is very limited...and expensive..

I would advise you not to book reservations in advance since the weather on Washington can change on a dime...better to arrive, plan to stay for a two or three days, and gauge your trip up the Cog on when the weather and most importantly the summit is clear.

A perfect ride on the Cog is Autumn color, clear skies, cool temps, and a 150 mile view from the summit...for $49/person ya wanna get all the value you can out of your dollar..

Be flexible...you may not get the 10:00 a.m. train...so be prepared to hang around and be first in line for the 11:00 a.m. train...

There's lots of other attractions in the area that involve trains such as the Conway Scenic, Hartmann's Train Museum, and the Hobo Railroad as well as other areas of interest - White Mountain Attractions is a good source of information on the area's attractions..

Finally, the Mt. Washington Observatory maintains a website that provides live web cam shots of the summit...just Google the observatory and view the cams and you'll very quickly realize the importance of being flexible when it comes to going to the summit of Washington...

At the Gale River Motel, we provide our guests access to the web cam when they are planning their day's ascent...so they can decide whether the weather is cooperating on that particular day..

Good luck and enjoy your trip to the area...

Kevin

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

I was the first reply to this and now my reply has vanished - it was here for a coupel of days tho. Did you get it rumyloo. What is going on.

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cog rail - autumn visit, or skiing from the train -- Mt...

The Cog Railway would be Heaven for a train enthusiast, and fall is a great time. As the previous postsers have said, be flexible on times - and pray for a crystal clear day, the views are amazing. If you can travel mid-week the crowds aren't bad at all. If your son is really into trains, he'll enjoy the small museum at the base.

As far as skiing goes there are many nearby downhill ski areas with learn-to-ski programs. Black Mt. is a small family friendly mountain, also Cranmore. Widcat has a nice Learning area - and a super beginner trail from the summit for once he gets his snow legs.

I would definitely skip the ski train idea. The trail runs beside the tracks, is narrow and steep. Its a great novelty for experienced skiiers (bragging rights) but wouldn't be enjoyable for a beginner.