We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy to travel without reservations for leaf peeping?

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Crazy to travel without reservations for leaf peeping?

We have a trip planned for October 3rd -17th. We prefer to travel without reservations so we can follow our whims and stay as long as we like wherever we like. We're on a limited budget - hostels, camping cabins, and the occasional B&B splurge. Will we be able to find places to stay in Vermont and New Hampshire without booking ahead? We have the Columbus day weekend covered already (I hear that's the busiest), as we'll be staying with friends.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy to travel without reservations for leaf peeping?

You'll be taking chances. The good news is that in New England the next town might only be 15-20 miles away. Here in the west that can be 50-100 miles sometimes. But you should expect to find many places filled and lots of No Vacancy signs. As long as you allow yourself a few hours each day to find a place to sleep at night, you should be OK. I hope that's a good enough trade off for being able to 'follow your whims'.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy to travel without reservations for leaf peeping?

I agree with RedRox...

The two issues is that you might not find a place to stay in the towns you want to go to and you could possibly spend an unfortunate chunk of your time calling around to find a place.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy to travel without reservations for leaf peeping?

I wouldn't travel without a reservation but that's just me. If you have time you could always look at a map and get a idea of some towns you might visit. Then use this website to find some hotels to check availability. If you're finding a lot of them already booked start looking for confirmed places.

The economy may be in your favor. Years ago it was impossible to find a place. These days maybe not.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy to travel without reservations for leaf peeping?

You will probably be alright during the week, but weekends are going to be difficult. You may also find that a place you would like to stay longer won't be able to accommodate extra days because of people who have made reservations. You could spend a lot of time calling and driving and not end up where you would like to be.

5. Re: Crazy to travel without reservations for leaf peeping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about New Hampshire