We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public holiday in the fall?

northumberland
Level Contributor
91 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
public holiday in the fall?

We are coming to new hampshire and other states for the fall. Still not sure when to start trip in boston then travelling about. We have been told to book hotel for a holiday weekend but don't know when that is. could you help please?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public holiday in the fall?

The Columbus Day holiday usually coincides with peak colors as the leave turn in New England. This year it is Monday Oct 11th, so that weekend (Oct 9-11) will probably be solidly booked and traffic will be heavy with 'leaf peepers'.

Book your accommodations ASAP.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
555 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public holiday in the fall?

Polly,

I assume you are traveling from the UK so you are not tied to our holiday calendar. It is not necessary to come over our holiday weekend to see great colors. Depending on where in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine (or even Western Massachusetts) you go, you may find great Fall Foliage and scenery any time in October (depending on what Mother Nature has to say about it).

My suggestion is if you don't have to come to see the Fall Foliage on Columbus Day Weekend, don't. Midweek or another weekend you will still have tons to see and you won't be competing with quite as much chaos.

northumberland
Level Contributor
91 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public holiday in the fall?

Thank you for the help. We are coming to boston then travelling. Will probably come over for end of sept spending a few days in boston. then heading for new hampshire, maine and vermont. for about 2-3 weeks. My husband also wants to go to niagra falls. Is this possible? I don't know the distances. Could we then fly back to london from another airport. We need to book flights by tuesday ad british airways sale ends then and we can get a good deal.Any advice greatly accepted.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
555 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public holiday in the fall?

If you are talking the very beginning of October then the more Northern parts of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine will be your best bet for colors. As the days pass the peak colors crawl Southward. I am from the Southern part of NH so someone farther North could help you better.

As for Niagara Falls, everyone in this forum has a different opinion of what is too far to drive to see something. If this is your one opportunity to see this part of the U.S., you really want to see Niagara Falls, and you have two to three weeks...then I would say go for it. Depending on your starting point in Vermont or New Hampshire, it is probably about eight to nine hours driving time.

Keep in mind two days actually at NF is possibly overkill.

There are places along the way which are very scenic like Thousand Islands and the Finger Lakes region (depending on which route you drive across NY State).

If you do go to Niagara Falls...you must see it from the Canadian side to get the most worthwhile views and a drive up to Niagara on the Lake which is a wonderful town would be a very nice place to stay.

From NF, you could probably fly back from either Toronto (that might be a non-stop and is just 2 hours drive from NF) or either Buffalo (30 minutes), Cleveland, or Pittsburgh (3.5 hours) (those three would have stopovers in NY I would presume).

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public holiday in the fall?

pollyNorthumberland-

I will totally agree with Littleriver BB with the suggestion of going to see Niagra, IF this is even remotely the only trip to the north eastern USA. Plan on a days drive from the central MA are to get across NY State.

Sounds like you have plenty of time allocated to see (2-3 weeks) lots during the visit. Likely start parring it down a bit over the next month or two and deciding on the "Must Sees' and the Like toos!

Try to avoid the Columbus Day W/E if possible - Especially in the North and a mid sections of ME, VT and NH -- Columbus Day W/E is 2nd only to the 4th of July for NH w/re to visitors to the state.

Need more help just ask!

Travel Well

Tazman

northumberland
Level Contributor
91 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public holiday in the fall?

Thanks for advice. We have booked our flights and decided to stay 3 and a half weeks. We will arrive on sept 23rd and stay in Boston for 3 nights then start travelling. We return on oct 18th. This should give us plenty of time to drive in a cicle somehow through new england states then going to niagra. Then return to boston. I hope this will be possible as it is my 60th and retirement present. We want to see as much as possible without doing too much.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public holiday in the fall?

You'll have plenty of time to see the entire area and enjoy yourselves without rushing from one spot to the next.

Let us know if you need additional info

8. Re: public holiday in the fall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:17