We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

First I thank all of you on TA for your guidance so far. I've changed out travel dates based on your recommendations.

We're considering the following agenda and would like your comments or suggestions for an changes. Our first time in the area so I expect I've made mistakes in planning. Arriving Oct 1st and departing Oct 9th. If I'm planning to much driving please let me know. Also please add any suggestions on B&Bs or hotels in the areas I'm staying.

Oct 1- arrive in Manchester airport from Texas drive to Kennebunkport for 1 night

Oct 2 - Around Kennebunkport then to BoothBay for 1 night

Oct 3- Around Boothbay then to North Conway for 2 nights.

Oct 4 & 5th foliage peeking in NH on 5th casualing getting to Vermont late afternoon on 5th

Oct 5th night - either somewhere in northern Vermont or to Woodstock.

Oct 5th, 6th & 7th in Vermont (hope to stay in 1 place for 2 nights (suggestions based on above?)

Oct 8 in southern NH and stay at Jaffrey, or Peterborough

Oct 9 to Manchester airport fly out at 4:30pm.

Whew....already worn out...

I especially would like comments on whether its worth the drive to Boothbay and Kennebunkport.

I'm posting this on Vermont, NH & Maine forums...

Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

We did your trip in reverse last year the first week of October. We did not spend as much time in Vermont but did spend 3 days in the White Mts. of NH. We drove the Kanc, went up Mt. Washington, and toured the area of Jackson for covered bridges. After touring Vermont and NH we headed to Bar Harbor and then down the coast of Maine. We loved the area around Kennebunkport. We had great lobster. On your way to Boothbay harbor stop outside of Portland and see the Portland Headlight museum. It is a beautiful lighthouse. We stayed in North Conway at the new Marriott Residence Inn. It had a nice hot breakfast. Enjoy your trip.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

I cannot speak much about the entire trip although it does sound like there is plenty of driving. Often the scenery is better from a walk or hike so definitely plan to leave time to get out of the car and enjoy the foliage by foot.

One warning is your first Friday and Saturday are at different places, many B&Bs and Inns require two night stays on weekends so keep that in mind when looking for a place to stay. Hotels might be easier to find one night stays in (at least on weekends).

I don't recommend a specific B&B in the area since I am in the business but you can refer to www.nhlodging.org for B&Bs and Inns in the Monadnock Region.

As for the last day in Peterborough/Jaffrey (Monadnock Region). It would be great place to rap up your trip as the colors should be nice by October 9th and you are less than an hour from the airport.

-Peterborough has a wonderful downtown with great dining and shopping. It is commonly referred to as "Our Town" because Thornton Wilder spent many summers there and supposedly used the town as an inspiration for his classic American play by the same name.

-You can drive the auto-road to the top of Pack Monadnock for nice 360 degree views of the surrounding area. From the top, you are at one of the best viewing spots for the annual hawk migration. It's so good the Audobon society sets up a viewing station there to watch and count the raptors flying by.

-Something unique and fun on Saturdays in October is the Yankee Siege medieval catapult called a trebuchet which launches pumpkins at a castle in a field. This is in Greenfield just fifteen minutes away.

-Cathedral in the Pines which is a wonderful and scenic walk around a non-denominational peace memorial among many many other nice hikes, walks, and opportunities to be outside. Of course there is also Mt Monadnock, the most climbed mountain in the Western Hemisphere (and possibly the world).

There is a covered bridges tour in Swanzey just South of Keene and of course Keene is a nice college town with a broad Main Street filled with shopping and dining.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

Two other events taking place that Saturday in the Peterborough area that might be of interest to you are:

15th Annual Open Studio Art Tour: the Monadnock Region is very well known for it's toes to the arts communiites and many of the local artists open their studios that weekend. It's a tour that cannot be fully covered during the entire weekend but you can pick and choose which artists interest you the most. For more information: http://www.monadnockart.org/art-tour.php

26th Annual NH Wool Arts Tour: another tie in to the arts, if you know anyone into fiber arts like knitting, spinning, weaving, etc or just like the finished products. Also a chance to see Alpacas :) For more information: http://www.woolartstournh.com/index.htm

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

Thanks for the advice...very helpful. Based on TA responses we decided to stay in Kennebunkport 2 nights and skip Boothbay this trip. Made reservations at a B&B in Kennebunkport.

Next we'll stay 2 nights in the White mtns area. At first thougth of North Conway but heard its very crowded then and to consider smaller villages. Any suggestions on this please? Also good B&Bs or Inns in this area greatly appreciated.

Then to Vermont and either 3 nights in one place as base and driving tours from there, or 1 or 2 nights in Stowe area and 1 or 2 nights in Woodstock ( I think we've decided on Woodstock for some portion based on TA reviews). Any recommendations on which approach is best and where best to stay in Stowe area. Also B&B or Inn recommendations in both.

Then wrap it up with one night in Southern NH, Peterbourough area.

TA has been incredible for the amount of information and help you can get for a trip.

Thanks in advance for your help.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

While staying in Kennebunkport you can make the trip to Portland to see the Portland Light at Fort Williams. It looks like my avatar. I took that picture while staying in Kennebunkport last October for my anniversary. We stayed at Cabot Cove cottages although you said you have booked a b&b already. You can also drive to Freeport, home to LL Bean flagship store and other outlets. If shopping isn't your thing drive south to Ogunquit and get out and walk Marginal Way. It's a scenic walk along the ocean starting at Perkins Cove. Perkins Cove is a small village with shops and restaurants. It's a beautiful area, enjoy your vacation.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

Jackson is a great village about 15 minutes from NC. There are a number of really nice b&b's in the area. But, instead of just 1 opinion, you should look at the reviews to get a broader range of opinion. If you are anything like me, you will spend more time planning that you actually spend on the vacation. All part of the fun of it. I don't remember if I gave you these links but here is a NON INCLUSIVE list of things to do and places to eat.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20158-Restaura…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

Thanks to all of you for suggestions and guidance.... Neslaw your links on places to eat are great...we'l;l try them all ... :) Msar thanks for the Kennebunkport guidance..,. and Little River for B&B info and for things arouns Peterbourough.

I just posted this on Vermont too. We've decided to slow ity down a bit and go with 2 nights in Kennebunkport, 2 in Jackson (may stay in the Lodge....any comments on it?) 2 nights in Stowe & 2 in Woodstock. Haven't booked Stowe or Wioodstock yet....recommendations?

Thanks again to all...`

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

If you stay in Jackson then eat at the Thompson House Eatery. We ate there last October and had a very nice meal and the people were very friendly.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

If you stay in Jackson, a great place for breakfast is Yesterday's, right in the village itself.

10. Re: Fall Foliage travel schedule advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about New Hampshire