We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls with New England tour

UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls with New England tour

Always wanted to do Niagara Falls ... also New England ... so can see there are plenty of fly drive tours available Boston, New Hampshire, Vermont, over to Montreal and then to Niagara. We have 4 adults, one large car and would like to spend 3 nights in Niagara at the very least. Can anyone advise which is best route to take ... also take it that you can drive from Boston and into Canada easily ....

Have to say I really only want to see Niagara (this visit) in Canada so can see the option of Vermont to Lake Placid and across .... however would it be a shame to miss Montreal and Ottawa? Look forward to hearing your opinions on the route. Also I know best time to see New England is October? We have 16 days available in total. thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

first problem, there is no best route. I suggest that you put "Niagara" in the search box above and also do the same in the Ma and vt forums. You will see a number of routes thru NE and over to NF from prior posts. It really helps for us to know the time of year, what you like to do, how many stops you want to make along the way, etc. It also helps if you make the first stab at a route and then the locals can give any advice about things you may not have thought of.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,779 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

We did a New England trip last October and my husband wanted to include Niagara Falls and upstate New York. After looking at the map and the hours of driving we decided to do Niagara Falls in one trip and do Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine in our trip last October. We are planning the Niagara Falls and upstate NY, etc. trip in the fall. There is a lot to see in New England in the fall from beautiful fall colors to quaint seaside towns.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

There is just to much to miss trying to see parts of Canada and New England. If you are at the falls it's ashame to miss Toronto. Perhaps seeing the falls, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa this time might be the way to go. Do New England by itself.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Andover...
Level Contributor
15 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

I might advise looking at what the "professional" tours do (which is sometimes a great value if you don't want to drive and don't mind people) and keep in mind that they have a driver so you might get road weary if you follow their route. What airport do you plan on using because that will help plan your route. New England states seem small on the map but it still takes several hours to get from one state to the other and traffic can be a serious factor in tourist traveled areas during this time. You could start at Niagra and then on to the Albany area into the Berkshires of MA , move on to Boston for a night and drive up the NH Coast or Scenic 93 and then drive to Vermont and leave out of Burlington AIrport or Manchester, NH airport. It doesn't seem like the NH states are very big but with traffic it can take a while to get through them. Earlier October is a better shot because it will be warmer and the last couple of years foliage season wrapped up a little early.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Albany
Albany
New York
Berkshires
Berkshires
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Andover...
Level Contributor
15 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

PS, I don't think my last post indicated as clearly as I wanted that the route you could theoretically take to see the most would mean seeing much out of the window of the car and less doing. I would advise to think of the things you want to see most and the things you enjoy doing most and that way people on the forum can help you "edit" your trip to your liking--on the other hand I know people who just like the drive and having been places!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

I would agree with most of the other posts. Your wish to see Niagara Falls and the New England area - and possibly Ottawa/Montreal - is quite ambitious. We do the drive from Toronto to North Conway (New Hampshire) 1-2 times per year. You are looking at close to a 9 hour drive from Toronto to North Conway (via Montreal). Niagara Falls is 1.5 hours on the other side of Toronto - and Ottawa is an hour north of Hwy 401 (your most direct route from Toronto to Montreal).

As someone else asked - where are you flying in to?

And no offense to Niagara Falls... but 3 days there? You will wish you didn't stay that long (especially when I note the other places you are hoping to see). One day and one night in Niagara Falls is plenty. It is nothing (and I mean nothing) like Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

DS

Most of us have just decided it is not worth trying to dissuade our friends in the UK from visiting NF and Salem, MA. Must be a great advertising campaign over there because everyone wants to visit places that some of us would not if we lived next door. But thats what makes the world go round.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

I grew up in New York state (albeit almost as far as possible from Niagara Falls) and never made it to the Falls until I was in my 50's. I found it spectacular and very enjoyable.

And I love Salem and think it's very much worth a visit.

That said, I agree with Denny Sausage that three days at Niagara Falls, especially when there are places in New England that you want to see, would be major overkill. Three hours is more like it. And even though 16 days is plenty of time to cover plenty of ground, I don't think Niagara Falls and New England make the best of dance partners. I think staying in/close to New England, especially at that time of year, would be more enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

Thank you all for your comments and help here ....

Basically it is my husband's parents' 80th birthdays (both of them) next year and they have ALWAYS wanted to see the Falls ... simple. It is a long flight and costly (for us in England) to fly over just for a weekend and then fly back so as my husband and I wanted to see Boston and at least some of New England too we decided on that option.

We need to fly into Boston (we have relatives there) initially and then we have the decision on the best way to get to the Falls ... we will cross the Rainbow Bridge to see them on the Canadian side also and stay 3 nights there before heading back to the US side. This is why I was thinking of the various options ..... so over to you guys again!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
10. Re: Niagara Falls with New England tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 05:17