We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

Hi!

I've noticed a lot of topics posted about travelling to New England in October, but I'm feeling overwhelmed reading all the great advice so wanted to ask for suggestions for my specific timeframe.

My husband & I are driving down to Dover New Hampshire from the Toronto area to visit friends in October for a few days. We have from Oct 12th - 16th to explore, making sure we are back in Toronto on the 17th. I realize we are a bit late for the fall colours, but our dates aren't really flexible so we'll just have to accept that!

Where should we go? We are open to NH, Maine or Vermont but would rather just pick a couple locations so we aren't driving around all the time. We have varied interests including visiting quaint shops, enjoy fine dining, we love the outdoors and are very active. Oh, and we rarely get to see mountains or ocean! Basically a little bit of everything would be great.... but would prefer to avoid larger centres...we get enough of that at home!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,988 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

We did a fall trip to New England last October. The two areas that come to mind are the White Mts. of NH and the area around Kennebunkport and Ogunquit on the Maine coast. Both those areas offer small towns, shopping and good food. The DE's for these areas are great and will give you lots of info. Better make reservations ASAP as this is peak season for the fall. Enjoy your trip.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

You're most likely not going to be late for the foliage, certainly not in the Dover area. The color in the mountains may start to recede around the beginning of your trip, but there should be plenty left.

Can you take your time on the way down? That's certainly a logical way to tour the mountains, since you'll be coming through that way anyway. At least, you will be if you come via Montreal and Vermont rather than via I-90 through New York and Massachusetts, which is what I would recommend; although both of those routes are quite nice, I think the former is more scenic and will give you more mountain scenery. (Or you might choose to head south through the Adirondacks, rather than go all the way to Montreal; I'm not going to try to plan the exact route.)

Since October 12 is a Tuesday, you wouldn't have to worry about traffic issues on the Kancamagus Highway and in the NH notches (Franconia, Crawford, Pinkham). All of these provide fabulous scenery.

Once you get to Dover, you're within easy striking distance of any number of coastal points of interest. The southern Maine coast, which I'm not really intimately acquainted with, is close by, and many people will recommend Ogunquit. In New Hampshire, I suggest Odiorne Point State Park, just south of Portsmouth, and area between there and Rye Beach. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Hampton Beach, because it's heavily developed and commercial. But if you go south into Massachusetts, you'll be in Essex County, which includes Cape Ann, and offers beautiful rocky coast and picturesque towns with wonderful old houses.

Don't neglect Portsmouth. Although it's the biggest "city" in the area, Toronto makes it seem like a small village, and it is a wonderful town with an abundance of architectural gems, good restaurants and shopping, and just a generally special ambiance. And I highly recommend taking a look at New Castle, an island tucked right into Portsmouth harbor. It's the oldest town in New Hampshire, and a beauty.

Have a good trip.

Edited: 20 August 2010, 17:18
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

There are a few sites that give you foliage info and one is:

www.newhampshire.com/foliage/index.aspx

There is a general rule as to when and where the best areas are to view the colors but this year, with the lack of rain, may change things - that's what the crystal ball foliage experts are predicting. If that's the case then you will be better off with colors in southern NH, VT and the Berkshires in Mass.

As for the mountains, would you be willing to drive from Toronto to Burlington Vt and into NH"s white mtns and then down to Dover. That would allow you to see great scenery and mts. If you take rt 302 in NH you will drive by the Mt Washington Hotel which is worth a stop.

Once in Dover and as Peachbelle said, you won't be far from the ocean and the villages along the ocean in maine are worth the drive.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I now need to start reading about some of these places.

We are planning to split the trip down from Toronto over two days. I'm not exactly sure of the route down yet but the idea was that if we got well into the States on the Friday we could take a bit more time coming through the mountains...and in daylight!

i've also been recommended Acadia national park and Bar Harbor in Maine too. What is it like there, is it worth the extra drive north?

Thanks again

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

It's spectacularly beautiful there. Whether it's worth the drive is up to you—it's a pretty long way.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

We live in the Seacoast area of NH, it is a gem of its own. But when we want to get away we visit the Jackson NH area and stay at the Eagle Mountain House. It is one of the older properties in that area and it is just quaint and charming. The staff is always there to help out and make your stay enjoyable. We like the small reading room off the lobby, it has a gas fired fireplace and is a quiet place to kick back and read a book. The main lobby is quite cozy, but can get busy between the activity from the tavern, the dining room and the front desk . The location is close to the mountains, the shopping at North Conway, this would make a nice stop over as you head closer to the seacoast. When you arrive at the seacoast there are several lodging options. Best of luck & enjoy your visit to NH.

Edited: 22 August 2010, 22:50
7. Re: Help me plan my trip in October .... please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2011, 07:19