We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
384 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

My husband and I are from north Jersey and are looking for a weekend getaway. Last year we went to Newport RI. We have been to Boston, Cape Cod, Cape May, Baltimore and longer stays in Maine, but never stayed in New Hampshire.

We like sightseeing, hiking, biking, wines, shows...pretty open to most things.

Any suggestions on where to stay in New Hampshire would be greatly appreciated. Hotel or B&B.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
555 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

Consider the Monadnock region of Southwest NH, it has:

1) Fantastic hiking including Mt Monadnock, the most climbed mountain in North America with its panoramic views all the way to the Boston skyline. nhstateparks.org/explore/state-parks/monadno…

2) Some wonderful cycling rides you can take including rail trails like the Ashuelot which will take you past four covered bridges. traillink.com/trail/ashuelot-rail-trail.aspx

3) Sightseeing opportunities including classic New England towns like Keene (college town with very nice walkable downtown), Harrisville where most buildings are on the National Historic Register, and Peterborough which was named on of the top ten coolest small towns in the U.S. and is well known for its art, culture, and independent shops of Depot Square. Walpole is also a cute town along the Connecticut River Valley famous for Burdick's Chocolate and Walpole Creamery.

3A) Sightseeing includes a drive (or hike up) Pack Monadnock to the Audobon's Raptor Migration Observatory because Pack is one of the best spots in NH to view the hawk migration. The Audobon society supplies binoculars and will help you spot the different eagles, ospreys, vultures, etc as they fly the corridor between North Pack and South Pack. www.newhampshireaudubon.org/center_pack.php

How about a walk at Cathedral of the Pines, a serene and spiritual non-denominational peace memorial with views of Mt Monadnock. http://www.cathedralofthepines.org/

4) The Peterborough Players, an award winning equity theater has been performing for 77 years in an intimate and charming 1700s barn (converted and renovated). They will be performing This Verse Business, a story about Robert Frost starring Gordon Clapp (of NYPD Blue fame). The theater is an experience all by itself. peterboroughplayers.org/2010/this-verse-busi…

4A) Another arts event specially going on that weekend is the 7th Annual Hillsborough Open Studio Tour. At least eighteen local artists in different mediums open their studios on that Saturday and Sunday to the public. It's a wonderful event. hillsboroughartisans.com/other%20pages/Studi…

There is much more to do...this is just a sampling!

As for places to stay, check out www.nhlodging.org for B&Bs in the Monadnock Region or www.monadnocktravel.com for hotels.

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

Thank you so much for all of the ideas!!! That area sounds perfect.

I am going to check out the lodging now.

I went on the New Hampshire website and saw the martini and chocolate trail and the wine and cheese trail. Was that cremery part of the cheese trail?

Cheryl

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
555 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

The Walpole Creamery is not part of the tour but the Boggy Meadow Cheese Farm and the Barnett Hill Vineyard are both in the area and Silver Mountain Farm is not too far off the track from Hillsborough (all three are on the wine and cheese tour)..

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

I noticed that Antrim will be hosting a big skateboard competition the weekend we would like to visit New Hampshire. Is that town around the areas you mentioned. I also noticed B&B under your photo.

Where is your B&B located?

Cheryl

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
555 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

Antrim is in the Monadnock Region, about fifteen minutes North of Peterborough and fifteen minutes South of Hillsborough. Both towns have activites going on that weekend that might interest you.

Cheryl, we are not supposed to be using TA Forums to promote our own businesses but we are supposed to let forum users know we are innkeepers (according to the TA higher ups). We are located in Peterborough and can be found on both of the lodging sites I listed.

BTW, I think your decision to come to NH in September (regardless of what region you go to because all the regions are very nice) is a great choice. It may not have the fall colors of October but IMO the temperatures are perfect (70s during the day and 50s at night) and everything is much less crowded.

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

Everything sounds perfect to me. I just have to sell my husband on the 5 hour drive.

cheryl

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

cherrus - southern NH is a great area to explore and a nice place to stay is

www.littleriverbedandbreakfast.com

If you want to add a few more hours to your drive, there are the white mtns and northern NH to explore with great shopping.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

RE: Antrim, the skateboard event is very cool. It is not your typical trickster event on ramps and rails. It is downhill slalom skateboarding, reaching speeds in excess of 30 mph, slaloming between 25 to 50 cones on the hill. It is the Antrim Can/Am Slalom Skateboard Championships. You can find a Facebook page with the same name and if you go to Youtube, you can probably find some video of past events. There is also the Antrim Home and Harvest Festival happening simultaneously, all in center of town, all within a few blocks together.

9. Re: first time weekend of 9/17 - 9/19 advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 06:27