We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning ahead.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning ahead.

We are planning a trip to USA next year, and are trying to decide when is the best time to come. We would like to see New York but only for a few days, and possibly Boston, but mainly New England, and take in some of the fantastic fall colours. We could come from the last 2 weeks in september going into October , we would take approx 3 weeks in total. We don't know whether to take majority of time in September, or October or split the time equally between the two months. What would the weather be like in these months?Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning ahead.

Predicting New England weather is a fool's game, but generally speaking the time you are considering has excellent weather, with sunny, moderate days and cool nights.

The best time for foliage is variable, it depends to a considerable extent on where you are (farther north = earlier foliage), and opinions about it always differ. For myself, if I could take any 3-week period, I'd probably do something like September 28 - October 19. Plan to head directly to the northernmost area you want to see, and work your way south.

Edited: 26 August 2010, 15:14
Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Wiltshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning ahead.

That is so helpful, thank you. My daughter has to book leave well ahead, to be able to have the time off. I think we will go for the time you have said. Thanks again

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning ahead.

You're very welcome. Have a great trip, and maybe we can do some more to hep you plan it as the time goes by.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning ahead.

You're very wise to start planning this far ahead, because Fall Foliage season in Maine and New Hampshire has become as popular as the typical "summer vacation" times in July and August. Lodging of all types (hotels/motels/inns/bed-and-breakfasts can all become hard to come by during late September and early October. Many people coming to see the foliage this year will book their accommodations for next year's foliage season before heading home this year.

But, by starting this far ahead, you can begin to pin down what date(s) you might want to stay where and over the winter you can make the reservations to get your first choice of accommodations....and arrive next Fall knowing you'll be staying where you want to be instead of having to settle for what you can get....

Foliage season is a great time to be in northern New England....it's the favorite time of year for many of us who are fortunate enough to live here year-round.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
New England
New England
United States
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning ahead.

The dates wpsaukee suggested are about what I would suggest, too. You can literally start up north and follow the foliage to the southern tier of NH/VT/ME and into Mass. Kind of weave your way back and forth, heading gradually south.

6. Re: Planning ahead.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 08:15