We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern New England in November trip

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Northern New England in November trip

Hello,

My hubby and I are planning to visit Maine, NH and VT just after Thanksgiving through Dec. 7th. Can anyone recommend things to do, places to stay, visit,etc? We've never skied and I want to try.

Both are foodies, like history, etc. This is a new adventure for us, so I would appreciate your help. We're flying into Portland, renting a car and also want to see places for relocation/retirement.

Thanks!

Mayellin

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern New England in November trip

As you were told in the Vt forum, skiing will be iffy during the time period and what little you may find will not be very good in all likelihood. This is not a retirement search forum and you really give too little information to get anything useful back. Do you want to stay in the more common tourist destinations? Those have been exhaustively covered. Why don't you check out the various official websites. visitnh.gov has a ton of great information on all areas of the the state for starters.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern New England in November trip

relocation/retirement - New England is a large area encompassing mountains, coastlines, cities and small villages. Drive around and decide what's best suited to you and your needs.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern New England in November trip

Thanks for the website suggestion. Yeah, the relocation/retirement aspect is more of a "while we're up there, lets look around", I'm learning that this area has a lot to offer. Thanks for your ideas.

Mayellin

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern New England in November trip

Hello and welcome. I love travelling at this time of year. There are plenty of craft fairs featuring items made by local artisans and communities decorated for the holidays. Check out the Lions Club Craft Fair in Amherst NH, the tree lighting in downtown Keene NH, local museums are decorated in traditional period decorations. Check www.nhlodoging.org for b and bs in the area. For skiing, I would try Killington. True, the conditions will not be fabulous, but as beginners you are probably not going to need the entire mountain or any double black diamond trails. The lower slopes should be fairly well covered as long as it is cold enough for them to make snow. You should have a great time.

chicopee ma
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern New England in November trip

That last weekend may be the xmas prelude in Kennebunkport Maine.They have a website and it really is special.Down East magazine in maine prints a retirement issue each year that might be useful.Dump the ski idea most places want a solid base of several inches before they open and why risk a twisted knee.Check a few places out while your there and plan a Jan trip next time M D

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern New England in November trip

Thanks, we'll pass on the skiing. I'll pick up a copy of Down East Magazine,

that was a great tip. Take care,

Mayellin

7. Re: Northern New England in November trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 04:16