We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to visit in The White Mountains of New Hampshire

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Best place to visit in The White Mountains of New Hampshire

Hi

I am travelling through the White Mountains on my way to Nova Scotia in October and I was hoping someone could tell me the best town stop in? Only there for 1-2 days. I am reliant on public transport and I need to get a bus from wherever I am staying to Fredericton, New Brunswick. Can anyone give me any details of any public transport companies that will operate across both US and Canada. Thankyou

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to visit in The White Mountains of New Hampshire

The best place to stop in the White Mountains depends on what you are looking for. North Conway is certainly loaded with shops, restaurants, lodging choices, while surrounded by breathtaking beauty in the Mount Washington Valley, great for hiking and other outdoor sports.

The problem you may encounter is finding public transportation across the border. Acadian bus lines http://www.acadianbus.com in Canada currently operates a service between Bangor Maine and various stops in New Brunswick. However, they have applied for and received permission to stop this route. No one is really prepared to say when. I strongly suggest before you leave home you contact them and see if anything has been finalized. The last time I checked for another forum poster, the ticket agent told me possibly early November was the final run, but things may have changed.

Greyhound bus lines http://www.greyhound.com/ would get you in a very round about way from North Conway to Bangor to connect with Acadian Bus lines.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to visit in The White Mountains of New Hampshire

This question, or one similar to it, crops up in this, or some other northern New England form, every once in a while.

Unfortunately, the best answer is: "there's no easy way to do what you're trying to do." Much of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are still rural enough that sufficient ridership to sustain commercially-viable long-distance bus service is a considerable challenge.... Such efforts are further complicated by local geography which makes east-west travel far more difficult than north-south travel.

All of which is a prelude to saying: you may be able to do what you're asking about, but it won't be terribly quick, or easy.... The last I knew, both Concord Trailways and Greyhound operated bus routes originating in Boston and passing through at least some of the more scenic parts of the White Mountains. If you're limited to the bus service, North Conway would probably make a good destination. The local bus agency stop is located at one of the local inns at the north end of the village of North Conway. Several lodging places and restaurants within an easy walk. The more classic scenery is still further north, but requires a car to get to most of it. But North Conway will at least give you a feel for the area. The unfirtunate part is that, once you're ready to leave North Conway and head for Nova Scotia, the available connections all appear to require a return to Boston and a switch to a different bus there. So, you'll spend about half a day getting from Boston to North Conway, be there for a day of day and a half, then spend another half day getting back to Boston.....

And once you get back to Boston, you get to the situation already explained by K.C..... in that it's relatively easy to get from Boston to Bangor,ME.....but from there to Nova Scotia can be problematic depending on the status of the Canadian bus service and whether or not it's still operating when you're ready to go.....

One possibility might be the bus trip from Boston to North Conway back to Boston and then a flight from Boston to Halifax -- it that's within your budget. Otherwise, I'd check very closely with the Canadian bus folks before setting out on this trip....be sure you "can get there from here" without getting stuck part way....

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to visit in The White Mountains of New Hampshire

Ditto on the difficulty of using public transportation to get around rural New England. Another thought I had might be to look into what bus or trains might be available once you get to Nova Scotia. If you changed your plan to visit either Portland or Bar Harbor in Maine, instead of the White Mountains, you could then take the ferry across the mouth of the BAy of Fundy to Yarmouth NS. You can take a bus or Amtrak to Portland. The bus to Bangor will get you within an hour of Bar Harbor, but I am not sure what transit options are available from Bangor to BH. You might check the websites for the Chamber of Commerce in each of those locations, and perhaps make a call to see if the Chambers can be of help. They may know of services that are not so readily obvious to us. Then, you need to find out if there is a transportation option in Yarmouth.

Good luck.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to visit in The White Mountains of New Hampshire

Just to update what NextStopIs posted:

There is no ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth Nova Scotia any longer. The Cat ferry was discontinued last year.

There is a ferry that runs between Saint John New Brunswick and Digby Nova Scotia, but that does not answer the question of transportation between Maine and New Brunswick.

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to visit in The White Mountains of New Hampshire

Thankyou all very much for your help. I have emailed Acadian Lines and they have said that it is very likely the bus will still be running at the time of my visit for me to get to New Brunswick from Maine. I have more questions about Maine but I have posted this in the 'Maine' section!

Thanks again for your help

6. Re: Best place to visit in The White Mountains of New Hampshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 05:34