We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help! :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
78 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
help! :)

My husband and I are looking to possibly travel to New England this summer/fall. I've never been there but I would love to see some lighthouses, towns, brewerys, ect. We enjoy the mountains and trails, we like to sight see and are pretty laid back. I'm looking into possibly a house rental since we have two small dogs that would be along with us. We are in our early 30's. Does anyone have suggestions of what to see? What state to stay in? Town to stay in? I've never been to NE so I'm not sure where to start! Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help! :)

How long a trip? Lighthouses and mountains don't really mix (except maybe at Acadia (Bar Harbor, ME)

Portsmouth NH has the breweries and is close to many great seaside towns in NH and ME while being about 2 hours from the White Mountains.

Cape Cod= no mountains, heck only a couple of hills.

White Mountains- breweries, hiking but no lighthouses.

So, are you staying in 2 places or one? There are so many good choices and no bad choices that you will just have decide where you want to go. check out visitnh.gov and other similar websites as well as the things to do stuff above.

So can't just do it all for you but will be happy to help.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
78 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help! :)

thanks for the information. I would like to see lighthouses and cute towns but not how sure the husband is up for that. Last year we went to the smokey mountains in TN and he said he wanted to do that again but I told him we should see something different.

We would be staying for a week. We live in PA so I'm just trying to find a place that has things for the both of us to do and I'm not familiar with anywhere in NE so I'm tryin to see what each place offers via "things to do" here on TA!

I'll check out the website you gave me for more info! What would you suggest to a first timer? Any Must see's?

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help! :)

You can do some of each. A couple of days in southern NH and Vermont will give you some hiking, beautiful scenery, museums. You could then drive over to the coast, about 2 hours away and take in Portsmouth, and some of the southern Maine Coast. All doable without killing yourselves.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help! :)

So, you have a lot of choices -- tell us more about the way you like to travel. Want to settle in to one place and explore from a base camp? Or are you people who like to get up and go, do some miles every day, or most days, and plop down when the sun sets? If you want only one base for the whole trip, I'd look in the Mount Washington Valley -- do some homework on the White Mountains. There is a lot to do in this area. It would not be impossible to do a long day trip to coastal Maine for some lighthouses.

If you like to move around, You could come into the region through the southwestern corner of the state (there are a few people here who know that area very well, and I think it qualifies as having many picturesque little towns. From there, the White Mountains -- and then, I'd head to the Maine coast for a couple days.

LMM

Hooksett NH
Level Contributor
19 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help! :)

New England has a lot to offer, but a few "must see" are the White Mts., Boston if you are into history, including Lexington and Concord where the Revolutionary War started(shot heard round the world, etc.) I would avoid Cape Cod; while it has beautiful beaches and quaint towns, the traffic can be a nightmare getting there. Portsmouth, NH is a must and the Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse in Newcastle is open Sundays from 1-5 PM. You can climb to the top with a guided tour! My wife and I volunteer there. It has a fantastic view ! There is a web site. So, 3 days in the White Mts. 2 days on the NH Seacoast and 2 on the Maine seacoast or Boston. If you'd like more info. on hotels, specific sites to see, just respond.

6. Re: help! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 02:16