We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

Holland
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

Hello,

We are a family of five 2 adults and 3 children ( age 13 - 10 and 9 years) and we will spent our vacation at the East coast of the USA from July 14 till August 6.

The only thing firm is our stay in New York City from there on we will start on Monday July 18 with our round trip and like to tour the following States:

- Massachusettes

- New Hampshire

- Vermont

- New York

- Pennsylvania

- Virgina

- Washington DC and than back to JFK airport

We like to learn suggestions for an intinerary for the state of New Hampshire. As we are with three children and we would like them to enjoy the time as well we are looking for a combination of:

1 - scenic routes and nice point of views.

2 - history of your country as it is always good to learn about the history of other countries.

3 - (National)Parks walking/ beach scenery.

4 - Things do see and do with children like attraction parcs and or waterparcs.

5 - pittoresque historic villages and or places.

6 - Places you would recommend to visit.

7 - Events to visit during this period.

8 - Trips you would make yourself like the hidden gems.

9 - Recommendations for accommodation.

It goes without saying that we are open to all possible suggestions

Many thanks in advance

Harry

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

Hello and welcome to New Hampshire. You have an aggressive itinerary scheduled. All the states you mention are beautiful and have their own special places, but I'm not sure you will have time to see them all and spend enough time in each. Most of these are big states and you will spend a lot of time driving. You do have a good amount of time, but even so, if you want to do more than just drive through each place, you may want to scale back a bit. If you want to see some of New England, I would suggest you start perhaps in the southwest corner of New Hampshire, stay for 2 or 3 days and explore from there. This area in particular is very scenic, offers great hiking, historic sites, close to Vermont and Mass for day trips, restaurants, lodging. From there on to Boston for a few days, stay outside the city, take the T in to Boston. Boston is a great walking city, full of history. Plum Island, north of Boston in Newburyport is a great, unspoiled wildlife conservation area. I know a lot of people would not recommend Rhode Island, but I think you would find Newport interesting. The Newport Folk Festival happens every summer, check for their web site. Upstate New York offers Lake George for the kids, especially the southern part of the lake, which I think is a tourist trap,but the kids will love the parks. The mid Hudson Valley area of New York offers Rhinebeck, Clermont and the home of the Livingstons Estate, Hyde Park with the Roosevelt Home and Library, the Vanderbilt Mansion and of course the Hudson River. You've outlined a huge area, so I would suggest checking some maps and outlining a tentative itinerary.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

Start with the top questions to the right. You really need to put together your itinerary and then we can fill in some of the blanks with ideas of what to see and do.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

Remove Pennsylvania and Vermont from your routes, add Maine. And tell us what you're looking for in New York... the City, I'm guessing. For New Hampshire, there are mountains (search around the White Mountain National Forest), ocean and lake beaches (nice ones) and those pittoresque villages all over the state. My question is more about how you want to go from place to place. Do you go from place to place every couple nights? Or settle in somewhere?

Let me know if the kids like hiking -- I'll suggest some great day hikes.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

Might want to post this on the road trip forum. Tet, Wings and others have done trips like yours and will give you great insight since you will be visiting multiple states.

You can easily spend a week or more in Washington, DC and Virginia. We spent 10 days there on our last trip. We spent 8 days doing VT, NH and Maine in the fall of 2009. There is also much to see in and around Boston as well as in PA with Philadelphia and Gettysburg, etc.

Holland
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

@ LoonMountainM...

Pennsylvania is for a family visit at the end of our stay

We are thinking about the hub idea and to explore the area

New York will be the city but see and do things to that you remember years after still.

Our children do like hiking when but with a goal for example hiking to a waterfall etc

Harry

Holland
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

@Newenlandwea....

Yes I have noticed by checking some rouutes tthe distances will be to much in general

Your idea of a 2 / 3 days stay in the Southwest corner oof New Hampshire will be worked out and check for accommodation

Harry

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

hama -- for waterfalls, Arethusa Falls is the biggest in the state and an easy hike. Also Sabbady Falls is very nice. You can google both -- if you're interested, the best book on hikes is "AMC's Guide to the best day hikes in the White Mountains". You'll find both these hikes plus many others you're certain to enjoy.

LMM

8. Re: Family vacation intinerary East Coast July 14 till August 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2012, 06:19