We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling through New Hampshire to Maine in late August

Gainesville, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling through New Hampshire to Maine in late August

My husband and I and our 2-year old daughter are planning a late August trip to Vermont -NH -Maine. Do we need to book hotels etc. ahead of time or are there plenty of choices (we can camp also) to choose from? We start from Manchester, NH and will visit friends in Bethel, VT. From there we plan to drive through the White Mountains to Acadia NP and then back to Manchester, NH. We have 10 days to do this loop and with a 2-year old, we'd like to keep our plans as flexible as possible. Any suggestions on the route we should take or places to stay (including camp grounds) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling through New Hampshire to Maine in late August

You mentioned your trip starting in late Aug so will it encompass labor day w/e? Whether or not, it's not a bad idea to book ahead. Last thing you want to do is to see a place you like and find it to be sold out and waste time searching for another place. Many of the schools throughout NE start the last week of August so you will find less tourists with children vacationing.

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling through New Hampshire to Maine in late August

All I can speak to is Labor Day weekend - last year we booked a campground last minute, and there was definitely nothing available in the areas you mention. We ended up in northern NH - Umbagog Lake.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling through New Hampshire to Maine in late August

We are going to White Mountains that time in August and we booked hotels in April and still found that in some cases had to take second choice. So, yes, I would book as soon as you can.

Gainesville, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling through New Hampshire to Maine in late August

Thank you all for your replies, now I can tell my husband that I was right! :) I'll start looking into places right away. Thanks again.

5. Re: Traveling through New Hampshire to Maine in late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 23:18