We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quaint towns/villages

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Quaint towns/villages

Hi all, we are in New England for two weeks in early Sept. We originally were spending 2 nights in Woodstock VT, but we have cancelled that to spend more time in the White Mountains and Acadia. One of the things I really want to see, it a quintessential New England town/village, white steepled church, pretty town square and quaint buildings a must! I know this pretty much sums up Woodstock and I am worried that we are missing that ‘pretty village’ part of our trip now that we have cancelled Woodstock.

I wonder if the experts here could look at my itinerary and tell me if there are any villages we should visit en route between our stops or within about an hours drive of our bases that would give us that ‘quintessential New England village’ we are looking for. Our stops are booked and deposits paid, so I’m not willing to tweak the itinerary.

Boston (3 nights) -------- Ogunquit (3 nights – includes day trip to Portland) --------- Bar Harbor (4 nights) ------- Jackson (4 nights) ------- Boston (flight home, but flight not til 6pm so we could fit in a stop en route.)

Thanks in advance!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quaint towns/villages

There are hundreds of quaint towns scattered throughtout New England so you will drive through them as you make your way on your trip. Looking at your itinerary, IMO, you will be staying in two for 4 nights each.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quaint towns/villages

Look at the Keene NH area, puts you in a great location for many white steepled towns, covered bridges in Swanzey, and close to Mass for easy access to Rt 2 or Rt 90, the Mass Pike for your return to Boston.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quaint towns/villages

Some more, just off the top of my head, all in New Hampshire: Walpole, Hancock, Harrisville, Tamworth, Center Sandwich.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quaint towns/villages

You're right Harrisville is a great spot as are Surry (Ichabod Crane is buried there) and Marlow, Chesterfield has beautiful stone buildings on their town common.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quaint towns/villages

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I am busy plugging them into Googla Maps as we speak! Some are a bit too far out of our route, but there are a couple that I think we will be able to visit.

What about our drive from Bar Harbor to Jackson, any gems on the way there that we should visit?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quaint towns/villages

Blue Hill, Maine, is gorgeous. If you don't mind a little bit of a detour, Stonington, Maine.

7. Re: Quaint towns/villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 13:18