We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Stowe worth a day trip?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Is Stowe worth a day trip?

Hi all, we are coming to New England in September and in our original itinerary, we were spending two nights in Woodstock Vt. We cancelled this to spend an extra night in Acadia and the White Mountains. While we're happy with that decision, I do feel sad that we are not getting to see Vermont. With that in mind, we were thinking of doing a day trip to Stowe from Jackson, that way we get to sample a little bit of Vermont without having the hassle of changing hotel etc!

Just wondering if this is a plausible plan, according to Google maps, the drive would take two hours twenty, is that accurate? We really wouldn't want to drive any further than that. But anything up to a five hour return trip would be fine as the hubby loves driving in the US!

What would the experts recommend as the 'must sees' in a short space of time (say 7-8 hours) we like pretty villages and beautiful scenery. Obviously we'd be limited in what we could see in our time, but just wonder if it would be possible to get the feel of Stowe in a day trip.

Thanks in advance!

Darien
Level Contributor
147 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Stowe worth a day trip?

Tough question. I think that may be why you haven't gotten any replies. The drive to Stowe should be nice, especially if it's late September with peak fall foliage. But, it doesn't sound like you'd have much time there to make it worth going all that way. .

A better alternative might be to drive west to St. Johnsbury and then take some smaller roads from there that would take you through Vermont villages. You'd feel less rushed and those villages would be less touristy and less crowded than Stowe. You could still drive five hours if you want, but you could follow a circular route and see a lot more.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Stowe worth a day trip?

It's almost the same distance to go from Jackson to Woodstock, which was where you originally wanted to go. If you are going to do a day trip that long, you may as well go where you really want to go.

Michelle

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Stowe worth a day trip?

Thanks for the replies, I will have a think about it over the next few weeks, we will be there mid September so I don't think we would have the peak fall traffic to contend with. That's a good point about Woodstock mchall, according to Google Maps, it is almost the same time, and just a bit longer in distance.

I will have a look at the route you suggested kjk1nyc and maybe have a look at seeing part of Vermont a bit closer to Jackson.

Thanks again for the replies. I'd welcome any other suggestions also!

Darien
Level Contributor
147 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Stowe worth a day trip?

One other thought is that in mid-September, fall foliage would be closer to peak, the further north you are. So, that would favor the Newport direction over Woodstock.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Stowe worth a day trip?

I say "YES"! Every post that I read of yours mentions Vermont. You obviously want to visit and it is a priority to you! Go ahead and drive to Stowe and enjoy what Vermont has to offer. You can even do the real touristy route and stop at all the little Vermont factories on your route. Stop for ice cream at the Ben and Jerry's Factory, get a sample of Cabot Cheese at Cabot's, taste some freshly made apple cider at the Cider Mill. When you get to Stowe, take a walk along one of their senic recreation paths. It's your Holiday!

Enjoy!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Stowe worth a day trip?

You're right Remay! I keep coming back to visiting Vermont! In the perfect world, we would have an extra couple of days vacation and get to stay in Vermont (although I shouldn't complain, as we have two weeks and I know that's a long vacation by US standards!) I know it sounds like a real tourist thing to say, but I'd love to say we have at least been in Vermont, even if just for a few hours.

Thanks for the tips about factories around Stowe Remay, I hadn't heard about Cabot cheese so will definitely have a look at that. I had the cider mill in mind for a visit, in fact, would you judge me if I said one of the reasons I picked Stowe was that I wanted to taste their cider doughnuts :-D !!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Stowe worth a day trip?

Have a great time, those donuts are fabulous!

Enjoy!

8. Re: Is Stowe worth a day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about New Hampshire