We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fall foliage

Easton, PA
Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
fall foliage

Planning a trip to VT and NH next weekend, Sept 24/25. Are the leaves turning colors or would it be better to wait another 2 weeks?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,997 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fall foliage

Better start checking about lodging availability. Many towns are usually completely booked for all weekends in your time window.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fall foliage

Some leaves will certainly be turning, especially at higher elevations, but color overall will be better two weeks later.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fall foliage

Many of the trees are very slowly starting to change and losing their landscape greens. If you can put your trip off, I would do it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fall foliage

see last question in :top questions" on the North Conway forum page

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fall foliage

Check lodging options before you reschedule your trip. They may be difficult to find now.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fall foliage

The Fall foliage was spectacular in Route 3, Route 302 and Route 112 in New Hampshire last weekend (Oct 1st / 2nd 2011).

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: fall foliage

I think this area just north of Franconia & Crawford Notches still has the best color in the state. I stopped at the scenic viewpoint at exit 34C on I-93 yesterday and the colors were very good, although not quite as good as past years.

Overall this is shaping up to be an exceptionally poor foliage season. I drove around much of north-central VT yesterday and the colors were mostly very dull except in a few spots. The excess rain from Hurricane Irene has stressed many trees and provided ideal conditions for anthracnose, a fungus that eats leaves, causing them to turn brown and fall off prematurely.

However, neither of these problems should be widespread enough to ruin a foliage season; the real culprit is the above average temperatures, particularly the overnight lows, which have delayed the color change in many places and prevented the really vibrant colors that we're used to seeing. I was hopeful that the areas that haven't turned yet would be saved by the cool down of the past two days, but now we're headed towards some record high temperatures.

Anyway, I hope that all of you who are visiting for the foliage are able to find those "sweet spots" with great color this year, because you might have to look a little harder than usual. It's disappointing even for locals like me who love the colors when the season turns out this way, but remember that New Hampshire is about more than just the color of its leaves. Get off the main roads and get lost; find places that the tourists don't know about and enjoy the journey.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fall foliage

A word of caution to those stepping near the shores of Swift river on Kancamagus highway. A man slipped and fell last weekend and was swept away downstream. There was no cell phone service at that point to contact 911. He did not survive which was very very unfortunate. Better to be safe than sorry.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fall foliage

terrymys,

Thanks for th nice analysis of this as a rather poor season. we were in Lincoln last week and had some very nice, but not spectactular colors. . I was having a hard time figuring how they might get better, looked to me like some leaves had turned about as much as they were going to, and for sure many leaves were on the ground.

Then I do not know how the colors come there,

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fall foliage

Just back yesterday from a weekend in North Conway and I must say the colors are not as spectacular as they have been in years past. We drove all the way up 302 to Rte 3 down through Franconia Notch, then the Kancamagus from Loon back over to Conway. Not sure if it's a week or so behind, or maybe the weather has affected the colors this year. Not impressed.