We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lift passes and equipment hire

Ireland
13 posts
Save Topic
lift passes and equipment hire

Hi

My family and I are travelling to New Hampshire this December. any advice on how to get the best value on lift passses and equipment hire? We are staying in North woodstock area. We are 3 adults and 1 child aged 13 years. any advice really appreciated.

thanks.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

What mountains do you plan to ski at? What days in December will you be here? If you aren't coming Christmas week you get a better deal skiing Monday-Friday vs. the weekend. During Christmas week it's prime time so you won't find any discounts. As far as renting skis, you can rent from the mountain or you can find a ski shop close to the mountain to rent. If you are skiing multiple days you can keep the equipment overnight and it may save you a little money. Check out this website www.skinh.com

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

multi day tickets for one mountain will give "best" value with more savings, the longer the ticket.

renting off mountain is typically a little less than at the ski resort but if there is a problem, you have to leave the mountain.

There are a number of places along 112 in Lincoln and they are all competitive with each other if you decide to rent off mountain.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

Rent your gear from Lahouts. They are on 112 in the center of Lincoln -- and they take good care of their customers. I also like Rodgers, almost as good. Do not fail to rent helmets, please.

Lift ticket deals can be had mid-week before Christmas, but from Christmas to New Years, it'll be full price. You'll be closest to Loon, which is the best skiing in the area, and not far from Cannon, which can be a bit more of a challenge. I would not suggest Cannon for beginner or intermediate skiers, even though you'll find the prices lower there.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
44 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was coming on here to ask virtually the same question. We are coming up from SC the week before Christmas and will be staying in Lincoln with my husband and two kids (aged 11 and 13). My kids have skiied twice, but not in 5 years. I'm pretty sure they will need to go back to beginner classes.

I've been looking on www.skinh.com for deals, and it looks like Cannon has the cheapest deals on their Tue/Thur ski tickets. In looking at their trail map, you think even with the Tuckerbrook Family Area it isn't a good idea to ski there? We are trying to keep our costs to a minimum.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

Just depends on which way the wind is blowing. literally.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

Same advice. If you wanted to save a little money, I would be more inclined to skip skiing one day and go to the best ski area on fewer days. Thing is, a day with bad conditions is no fun at all for for a beginner skier, so it's a total waste of money.

Do this for sure though, get out on the mountain as soon as the area opens. The first two hours of the day are better than the next six. Best snow (which makes a huge difference for a beginner) short lines, uncrowded trails -- all in the early morning.

LMM

Ireland
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

Thanks everyone for your replies. will keep your good advice in mind. we are travelling for 23 december to 2 january. i know it will be expensive these days but only time off work available to us. will definately look out for 112 deals in lincon. alos can anyone recommend a good spot for christmas day dinner/lunch in northwoodstock or lincoln perhaps.

thanks in advance.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

For Christmas dinner, I would make the trip to the Mt. Washington Hotel. It's a bit of a drive, but it should be spectacular over Christmas. If you wanted to stay local, the Clement Room at the Woodstock Inn (that's N. Woodstock, NH -- not Woodstock Vermont) and only 5 minutes away. And then the Common Man as a third choice. Food is good in all places, Listed in order from most to least formal.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

The Mount Washington Hotel is beautifully decorated for the holidays. It's overall just a very elegant place. They do ask that men wear jackets and ties in the main dining room, I believe.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lift passes and equipment hire

There is always Elvio's pizza for a 4th choice as you go down the formality food chain. but, if it is in the budget, MWH would be great.

Even if not in budget for dinner, great place to go for a drink.

If you want some very good local brewery beer, then the Woodstock Inn is a great choice also.