We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

Texas City, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

Hi! I lived in NH as a child and absolutely love it. I live in Texas now, and we visit usually at least once a year, and stay in Dover with some friends and also at Indian Head Mountain in Lincoln for a few days. We always go in the summer and fall, but never in the winter.

So, I booked a trip for Jan 7, 2012, but that's a bad time for my husband to take a vacation from work, so I'm thinking of rescheduling for March 8th for a week. My question is, is the snow still just as thick? Also, our resort we stay in, in Lincoln has a Lake that freezes over, and I want to make sure it's still frozen in March for ice skating. We won't be skiing, but we want to snow mobile, etc. I know of course weather fluctuates...but on the norm, is March just as good as January?

Thanks!!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

It all depends on when the storms come. But in a normal winter, if such a thing still exists, there should be lots of snow around at that time in the White Mountains, and the water will still be frozen. I think March is generally a preferable time for other reasons, too: It's less likely to be bitterly cold, and there's a lot more daylight.

Texas City, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

Thank you so much!! That makes me feel better about going in March. :-) I didn't think about the daylight thing, but you're absolutely right!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

just be careful with the skating on a pond/lake. while great fun, can be dangerous.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

Skating on the pond may actually be difficult unless someone is clearing the snow. The best most awesome skating is those lucky winters, every couple of years, that the lakes freeze over and you have this sheet of glass before the next snow storm. Once it snows, it piles up. You might check with the place you stay to see if they know of lakes/ponds that are cleared for skating. Keep in mind, too, that most of these lakes are not going to offer skate rentals, unless they are part of a resort.

That said, there are probably some places to skate. One that I know of is this pond in Hanover that is part of Dartmouth College and is maintained by the Dartmouth Outing Club. They clear it, rent skates as well as cross country skis, groomed XC Ski trails on an adjacent golf course,a s well as great sledding hill. They do the rentals in the warming hut where they sell hot drinks. And they also build and maintain a large bonfire outside. A classic setting.

Colchester CT
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

How's the weather now in NH? Any snow? I'm hoping to plan a snowmobile trip at the end of January.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

If you check the snow reports at the various mountains, not much right now but should be significantly different by end of January.

7. Re: When to take our New Hampshire trip for good snow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 19:41