We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Byways

Warsaw, IN
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Byways

My friends and I take a trip each summer together and this year we are headed to Maine for a few days but we would like to meander through Vermont and New Hampshire. (We are female and in our late 20's) I see that there are a few recommendations for scenic drives but most are up north more and we probably will only hit the southern half of each state. Is there a suggestion as to what might be some delightful scenic drives with some quirky places to stop and check out?

Thanks!

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Byways

Hi,

You don't say where you are coming from but if it's any distance and you don't take the time to get to Northern ME, NH or VT then you are missing some of the best the area has to offer. My suggestions for the Southern half follows.

Southern Maine -

Check out Ogunquit, Kennebunk Port, Wells and downtown Portland's Old Port Exchange area.

Southern NH -

Check out Portsmouth on the Seacoast, Peterborough and the Monadnock area (SW NH).

Southern VT -

Brattleboro (SE corner) and drive to Bennington (SW Corner). Any side roads off that drive will lead to really nice little VT towns.

If timee permits try to get to Camden, ME (80 miles N of Portland) and Bar Harbor/Mount Desert Island, ME (about 60 miles past Camden).

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
558 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Byways

In NH-

Stop by in Keene. From VT when you get into Keene Rt. 9 becomes 101. When you come down the hill into town, you would take the left at the fourth light- Main St. (not the big shopping center streets) Just take a ride up the street past Keene State toward the church and around the square. Some good places for sandwiches or coffee.

Peterborough- when you come down the hill (see a pattern here) make a left at the stop light. There's a nice bookstore there called the Toadstool and next door a great place for lunch called Twelve Pine (as I remember) named after where it used to be located. Peterborough used to have a fantastic marionette theatre, but it burned down- too bad.

From there buzz straight to Portsmouth.

You must go to Portsmouth.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
558 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Byways

Oh, one more thing...If you had time to tuck in a day along the way you could climb Mt. Monadnock.

Warsaw, IN
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Byways

Thanks for your help--I'm going to print out your suggestions and take them with us. We are coming from Indiana and only have one week so I know that limits us something terrible. I would love to get to the northern parts of these states but alas, it will have to be on another adventure.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Byways

You dont say anything about your destination in Maine. It is really to bad you dont have time to go a little north that is where the "scenic" highways are. I not sure of your general route of travel in this direction but if you take 90 across NY to Albany you can take Rt9 and 101 through southern VT and NH and that is a good drive. If this is an option and you would like more info just let me know I have taken this drive a couple times. One of the best drives is RT302 or the

Kancamagus highway through the White Mountains of NH but that is probable too far north for you.