We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

Hi- I'm planning a trip next summer and I definetly want to spend most of my time in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I'm planning on 7-10 days, 2 of which will be driving there and home from Maryland. I would like to spend at least like 4 or 5 days in the Whites because they are pretty spectacular mountains that I've only driven through once before and I want to drive up Mt Washington, hike through the Flume, etc. We like quaint small towns, but also are looking for town with a good restaurant selection. Is Jackson, NH a good town to stay in?? I would like to add a second destination to this trip as well for 2-3 days. We like the outdoors and nice scenery. I'm debating whether to spend the other half of the trip in Northern Vermont or going to Cape Cod. We tend to goto the mountains more on vacations, but we do enjoy going to the ocean too, especially if its a non-resort type place. Cape Cod has the Cape Cod National Seashore, which sounds nice. As far as New England goes, I've been to Maine including Acadia, various places on the coast, and inland to Baxter and Moosehead Lake. I've also been to many areas of Upstate New York including the Adirondacks. But, I've only driven through a part of Vermont and New Hampshire and haven't been to Cape Cod. in Vermont, Stowe and Burlington, Vermont look like places I might want to see. If I went to Vermont, I would be able to avoid the I-95 corridor for the entire trip and would avoid the NYC area and the Boston area as well and would be a much nicer drive, Hartford, CT and Springfield, MA, being the biggest cities I would have to drive through. Also, I think it would be less mileage, since Cape Cod is much farther away from the White Mountains than is like Stowe or Burlington, Vermont. From Maryland, Cape Cod is closer, but I'm already going north by going to the White Mountains. Plus, then theres the hoards of traffic getting onto Cape Cod. I know they're two different places, but for those of you who have traveled around New England a lot, what destination would make more sense in this trip?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

Ok, lot of therapy needed here. Yeah traffic can be bad but you can choose non prime times to be on the road. I make this trip pretty often hitting both NH and CC. Jackson is great, very quaint.

North Conway is just a few minutes away and there are plenty of places to eat. Or you could stay in Lincoln on the West side of the Whites.

Also, you don't go thru boston to get to NH or Cape Cod from MD.

If you would decide to travel to the cape on a weekday and not at rush hour, then you should not have any problem going over bridges.

CC is not farther from here than NH. It is almost 100 miles closer ( i compared clarksville to Hyannis, North Conway and Stowe)

Many people like the WM over te GM because the whites are more dramatic vs. rolling but both are great places ot visit.

So if you could split this trip in two, that is fine. Just remember you do lose travel days up/back and the day that you travel from North to CC.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

New Hampshire has many quaint small towns and villages and Jackson is one of them and a great place to explore the white's. From your post it sounds like you would rather visit Vermont and stay away from the I-95 traffic. Certainly a lot to see and do in New Hampshire and Vermont and perhaps saving a longer trip to Cape Cod for another time.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

In reference to home, yes, New Hampshire is going to be farther than Cape Cod. Vermont does not really put me much closer to home neither does Cape Cod. But, from the Whites, Cape Cod is a much farther distance away. I much prefer 84 through Central Connecticut to the southern Connecticut routes like I95. I can avoid the NYC and New Jersey by going through Pennsylvania. I could take I-91 from I-84 up through Massachusetts and Vermont and cut over east to the Whites. I think I still might want to goto Cape Cod. If I could take I-84 to I-90 in Massachusetts to I-495 south to Cape Cod, I could avoid a lot of the I95 traffic. And I can pickup I84 in Pennsylvania. This might be a few more miles but a far more pleasant drive than the trips I ve done before using I95. Cape Cod might offer more to do and see than Vermont. So, I might actually do the Whites along with Cape Cod now if I can avoid I95

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

you could fly to boston and rent a car?? Not sure how to help if the goal is to avoid a road. You really can't avoid 95 between CC and MD without going out of your way.

I have gone to North Conway, NH both taking 495 to 95 to rt 16 in NH (eastern route) and by taking 91 North to White River Junction and back down 93 (and gotten off in Littleton and taken local roads across NH). No significant time difference.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

Don't worry about the routes and the traffic, you can cope with those. The question is, do you want some variety (mountains and seacoast), or do you want lots of mountains?

You could also consider Cape Ann instead of Cape Cod, which overall would save you some mileage.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

I have a dog, so flying is not an option. I think I'm gonna goto Cape Cod and the White Mountains. Probably looking for a place on the outer cape like Wellfleet. But for the White Mountains, how is Jackson as a place to stay? It sounds like what we re looking for. But, are there many restaurant and lodging choices there?

Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

Jackson is a small wonderful village with a few restaurants, b and b's, inns and taverns.

You are likely to eat there as well as various places around the WM from Glen to NC to Lincoln. I wouldn't be to worried about the restaurant selection just in Jackson as any kind of decision maker. Small is what makes it quaint.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

This is the Jackson web site

http://www.jacksonnh.com/index.php

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

We re looking for a small town as a base that you can walk around and stuff with shopping but not like outlet shopping. I've been through North Conway and want to stay away from there, its more of a crowded strip than a town. Not for us. Lincolns more our kind of place, but the eastern side of the mountains is more convienent to places like Mount Washington, etc. There's also Gorham too. I like the northern and central mountains better also. I've done the drive from Lincoln to Conway many times on the way to Maine, which is beautiful, but I would like to explore the areas further north like Mount Washington, Route 302, Franconia Notch, etc, which I haven't seen.

Thanks

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Mountains and Vermont or Cape Cod?

Any area north of Intervale - Glen - Jackson will not be like N Conway so many people love this area. If Lincoln appeals to you, then stay there and do the various drives to rt 16 Mt Wash area. You said you're familiar with Lincoln and want to try something different so now is your chance. The farther north you go the more rural it gets.