We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodge-to-Hut Adventure: Notch to Notch Presidential Traverse

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lodge-to-Hut Adventure: Notch to Notch Presidential Traverse

Anyone ever do the Guided Lodge-to-Hut Adventure: Notch to Notch Presidential Traverse offered by the Appalachian Mt Club? It sounds spectacular, but I'm wondering how rigorous it is for me (54 yr old woman) and my 16 year old son. Thx!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodge-to-Hut Adventure: Notch to Notch Presidential Traverse

I suggest talking to AMC as we don't know what condition you are in or your son. They certainly don't want to be carrying folks off the mountain and will be honest with you about the rigors so you can make an informed decision. Maybe Loonmountainman has done this but aren't too many serious hikers that are regular contributors.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
158 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodge-to-Hut Adventure: Notch to Notch Presidential Traverse

I havent gone on this specific trip, but I have hiked to most of the AMC White Mountain huts and many of the connecting trails.

The terrain is pretty rough and should not be taken lightly. Depending on which huts are included, or if it's all of the huts then much of the trip would be above or near treeline.

IF you are in good shape and have some experience hiking then it is certainly achievable. THe scenery and experience would be fantastic. If you are not familiar with hiking in the white mountains then this might not be the best trip to start out with. As neslaw1 suggests if you have specific questions call the AMC and discuss the trip, they are usually very helpful and I am sure would be happy to hear from you.

If you have further specific questions about the trip or the huts feel free to post back here. IF you decide the overall trip is too much then also could consider a hike to some of the huts individually, as this would be much less demanding but still experience the huts and the amazing scenery in the White Mountain area

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodge-to-Hut Adventure: Notch to Notch Presidential Traverse

This is a tough question.... fitness is pretty hard to gauge, but if you are a normal weight and are physically active -- and I mean like you really "Do" something (not walking to the bus stop), it should be something you can do.

The traverse is one of the major hikes, and has fantastic views. By using the huts, you need not carry a big pack with all your gear since you get food and lodging at the huts. You will, however absolutely need good gear. Good hiking boots, and warm clothing designed for exercise, temperature extremes and rain. (Sounds like more fun the longer I write, huh?)

Neslaw's advice to speak to the people at the AMC is a very good idea. They are really knowledgeable and may be able to help you gauge your ability to comfortably complete the hike. I would encourage you to call them. Eastern Mountain Sports in North Conway can fit you out with all the gear you'll need.... but you should of course purchase your boots and wear them around for several long walks to break them in before wearing them on the trail. (Hiking boots are rather notorious for giving one blisters.

Have fun, should you go, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

LMM

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,446 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodge-to-Hut Adventure: Notch to Notch Presidential Traverse

These guys are good.

AMC runs the trip and they, more than anyone, can assess your abilities. It has nothing to do with age or gender. The most important factor is probably experience, primarily in the White Mtns and specifically the Presidentials. After that, physical fitness will factor in.

I've not done this particular trip, but like the others, I have visited almost all of th huts in the system, admittedly many years ago. I know they are less primitive now than they were ithe 50s, 60s and 70s. But even then they were a welcome sight at the end of a day.

If you go, follow LMM's advice and use only equipment that is tested and broken in by you. There is nothing worse than I'll fitting boots and backpacks when you are in a challenging environment like the Presidentials.

5. Re: Lodge-to-Hut Adventure: Notch to Notch Presidential Traverse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 09:26