We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

We are planning on visiting the White Mountains area the end of Sept. - coming from Bar Harbor, Me. We have narrowed it down to three locations (we will be camping and towing a 25' travel trailer) - but trying to decide which will be the best. - Conway, Lincoln, or Shelburne? Each seems to have their own advantage. We love the outdoors, will spend a lot of time hiking, or enjoying the scenery. We are leaning towards Lincoln, but the route mapquest suggested involves crossing the Kanc Highway - which is fine without the RV, but is it "do-able" , or even advisable, with towing the trailer? Oh, we plan on staying 7 days, and we definitely want to see the three Notch's, as well as hiking (?) Mount Washington. Any recommendations for one of the easier (if possible) hikes to the summit? And how far is it?

Thanks for any info. We want to get our reservations made as I am sure, it gets very busy this time of year.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 17:28
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

Hello,

I don't have direct experience driving with a trailer but I think you will be ok. I have seen tractor trailer trucks traveling on the Kanc. There are some steep sections, and some tight turns--but also several nice pull-off to enjoy the views. I find the Mt.Washington Autoroad to be far scarier.

Mt. Washington is reached via trails from Pinkham Notch on the east side, and Crawford Notch on the west. My Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) White Mountain Guide, 28th edition has a loop up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail and down the Jewell and Gulfside trails from the same trailhead area near the cog railway station. This loop is approximately 9.7 miles, 3900 feet, and estimated to take about 6 hours and 50 minutes (depending on how fast you hike). From Pinkham Notch, there is the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, which is 8.4 miles up and back, 4250 feet elevation gain, and estimated to take 6.20 hours. My husband hiked the Ammoonoosuc Ravine Trail in Aug2011, and thought it was a beautiful hike. His hiking companion was injured, and they took the cog railway back down the mountain.

Closer to Lincoln, there are some nice hikes in the Franconia Notch. as well.

Hope that helps a little,

Holly_in _NH

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

I think there is generally more to do on the NC side but Lincoln is nice also. Kanc should be fine but 302 will seem easier because it travels along the bottom of the mountains where the Kanc traverses the tops. But the roads arethe same width and quality.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

Any road you take to Lincoln is going to be beautiful. IF you don't want to do the Kanc with the trailer, take the 302 route. Once you park your trailer, you can do the Kanc with just the car. But as has been noted, it is probably not a problem with the trailer.

Your interest in hiking, and leaning toward Lincoln, suggests that you are interested in the what you can do out in nature, rather than accessibility to the flatland touristy sort of things - shopping, etc. As noted, either side of the mountains is beautiful and engaging, and there is plenty of hiking and camping available wherever you go.

You may want to steer clear of North Conway if avoiding the most commercial section of the White Mountains is a priority to you. And note that on the weekend, it will be crowded. On the other hand, if you want to check out some of the outlet shopping, get to outfitter stores like EMS and LL Bean (outlet), and access other attractions, then go right ahead. The Lincoln/Woodstock side, though, has plenty of restaurants, general shopping, and some well equipped local outfitters. SO there is no need to go to NC.

If you do hike Mt Washington, and especially if you start from Pinkham Notch Base Camp, you will also be driving through the area north of NC, which is beautiful, less congested, not overgrown commercial and generally worthwhile, especially Jackson.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

Thank you so much for your information. I think, if we decide on Lincoln, we will go on 302 vs the Kanc. It seems a little less stressful with the trailer. Do you know about how much further the 302 route is? I'm guessing maybe double, or an extra half an hour? Our plan is to definitely visit all the areas, so we will be in Conway/ North Conway part of a day or more. Just trying to decide if we will spend more time on the east or west side of the mountains, or which location we will spend less time driving to get somewhere. I'm sure whereever we decide we will love it. The sad part is I'm wishing my summer away so I can visit this area.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

the actual time going east to west is about same. It is about 15 minutes from 302 to Lincoln. But since don't know where you will be can't help more but google maps or Mapquest can help or just ask siri

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

Time difference is really negligible. Both are beautiful routes, and you may find yourself stopping along either route to admire the beauty.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

Great! Thank you so much

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

I am from Oregon. was a little worried about the Kank reading posts here, but it is nice drive. Many here in Oregon are more difficult. We came in from Boston via Portland. we took 113 from 302 at Fryeburg to 2 at Gillead. That I would be more concerned about pulling a trailer. I pull a small popup trailer by the way,. here.

We stayed in Lincoln. we liked it seemed centrally located We day tripped to Vermont, Lake Winni, Mt Washington cog, Conway and Crawford Notch,

We debated between Conway and Lincoln, picked Lincoln cause we got better deal but think Conway would also have been good. though Lincoln better for day trip to Vermont. We had been in area twice before and sort of knew where we wanted to go. We did not consider Shelburne

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

phirl - We did make our reservation at Country Bumpkins in Lincoln. It got great reviews and seems like a nice campground. I had thought of the possibility of a daytrip to Vermont, but have not done any researching. I guess it depends on how busy we stay in the White Mountains area. Its good to know it is an option. thanks for the info.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best location to stay in White Mtns area - Lincoln, Conway,

Will have to say our day trip into Vermont though enjoyable was not our best day trip. We drove from Killington to Montpelier along base of Green Mtns. Think we could have made better choice, but we were limited because VT had some serious flooding, so some roads were closed. But wish we had gone to Burlington and Lake Champlain.

We left area along Conn Riv into Mass before heading to Bostonm

Edited: 23 March 2012, 03:10