We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week to spend

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1 week to spend

We have a week to spend in July between being in Boston for three nights and leaving from New York and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for places to go or things to see. We a re totally flexible - We have a rental car and we were going to travel to Montreal, but this is not fixed. I f we were travelling about would we need to book places to stay or could we just turn up at motel's etc?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week to spend

Exactly how long are you planning on spending in somewhere other than NY? I'm confused whether the 7 days includes the 3 in NY or is in addition to.

If it's 7 days plus the 3 in NY then it opens lots of options but if the 7 is really 4 after NY then you are somewhat limited to So New England only. But planned correct that's not bad.

If 4 days:

Check Mystic, CT, Watch Hill, RI, Newport, RI, Cape Cod, MA, Boston, MA, Cape Ann, MA and the Berkshires in MA.

If 7 days:

Check Ogunquit, ME, Portland, ME, Camden, ME, White Mountains, NH, and Vermont.

Get mor specific on how many days and how much you want to see, how much driving you are willing to do, are you looking for one place or several varied ones and I'll get more specific in suggestions.

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week to spend

Sorry!! I have 7 days travelling and then 3 in NY - so 10 nights in total. I have no problems driving distances - we just want to see as much as we can. Would you recommend going to montreal or is this just mad?! Would we be missing out on better places doing this? We would love several different places to stay on the way to and from places. We are a party of 4 in our early (very early!) 30's and love just chilling out, walks, and outdoor activities.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week to spend

If you want to do Montreal then you should limit your New England experience to the western side. Look into the Berkshires in MA (on NY line) then up through Vermont or up through the Adirondacks in NY and then into Canada.

If you take Montreal out of the mix then I suggest a coastal route through CT, RI, MA, NH and ME. That can be done in 7 days. I suggest driving for one killer day staying on all highways and heading up Rt 95 to Bangor, Maine (1st day). Then start heading south stopping in Bar Harbor, ME (2nd day), Camden, ME (3rd day), Rockport, MA (4th day), Boston, MA (5th day), Newport, RI (6th day), back to NY (7th day). Gosh, I'm tired just writing that.

Better suggestion. Find a smaller area and tour it doing more than looking out of an auto window. I would go bonkers if I were in that car as I would want to get out an experience the area better.

To give you an idea I did 2 long New England weekends last year. Both were 4-5 day mini vacations. On one I did Watch Hill, RI and Mystic, CT (only 20 +/- miles apart) and on the other I did Portland and Camden, ME (80 miles apart). On neither of these trips did I go home feeling I did or saw all I could have.

Let us know if you want a look out the window trip or an experience trip and we'll get you more info.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week to spend

Good morning Speersy,

If you get the chance to stay in New England for so many of your days? You should try to definitely get to the Mt. Washington Valley in the White Mountains at some point! No. Conway area is GREAT all year round, you'd really like it! Check www.nhliving.com for attractions, where to stay and what to see; as well as checking this site right here for where to stay of course.

From the White Mountains you could very easily head up to Montreal and cut through Vermont in no time. If I remember correctly it was Rte 89 that you'd connect with. From the northern part of New England it's only a matter of a few hours to get to Montreal. You'd really enjoy it if you could try to get here then GO, you won't be disappointed!

Here's a really good site to check out for your visit to Montreal:

www.tourisme-montreal.org

If you get the chance, try to take this boat tour along the St. Lawrence River, it's available from mid-May to mid-Oct. every year. It would be WELL worth it for you to explore this wonderful city of Montreal and a different way of learning the history of it:

www.bateau-mouche-ca

Where ever or however you plan on going, we know you'll really enjoy your visit to New England and if you could also get up to Montreal while you're at it? You GO for it!

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week to spend

Thanks guys - it has given me LOADS to think about and plan. I now need to go and check everything out. I want to see as much as I can but preferably not from inside the car (or auto window)!! I Will get back to you guys if I need any more inspiration.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week to spend

Knowing that, NoMo's suggestion about Mt Washington is a good one that I would second. The only difference is I would try to find a couple of days to experience the seacoast.

Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week to spend

Go North of Boston to Rockport, Masschusetts..Its a small colonial village which is a great place to see..Stay at Eagle House Motel which is a clean , neat, small motel near all ,IF you are NOT into big fancy places..This place is a small motel which is our favorite place..Owner Gary is great and will help with anything you need..Tell him Janet sent you!!!! Eat at Ray Moores down road which is a takeout fish-shack..But food is the BEST!!..You have to sit out back on wooden boxes, but its the food that counts..Good luck and if you need any info let me know..Have a GReat trip and HEllo to Ireland!!!

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week to spend

If you are more into the outdoors and walks and just relaxing I wouldn't bother going to Montreal unless there is a specific reason to go. If you like a coastal scene then head on up to midcoast Maine maybe as far as Bar Harbor, Acadia National park is wonderful, or if your like me and really like the mountains then NH, VT, and Eastern NY have plenty to offer. Personally I really love the White Mountains of New Hampshire. You are going to get a lot of suggestions from people promoting their local areas or their favorite places its up to you to sort out. Maybe if you could be a little more specific about anything in particular you would like to see or do you may get some other suggestions.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week to spend

I just read my post and it sounds like I'm really dissing Montreal. That is not the case I have been there a few times and it is a nice city but I am not really into the whole city theme and prefer the rural nature settings that is all.

I second the suggestion of Mt. Washington/ North Conway area. There is plenty to do in the White Mountains. You can either drive up Mt. Washington or tag the cog railway up. Nearby you can ride a tram to the top of other mountains, great outlet shopping, waterfalls, and the best part is the beautiful scenery everywhere.