We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

OK, whenever DW and I travel around the state we are always on the lookout for good local handcrafted ice cream. I am not talking about the local scoop shop that is serving Richardsons or Annabelles...I am talking about your local farm or shop where the ice cream is made on the premises.

We have been seriously disappointed when we go to the Dartmouth region because we keep looking but have not found locally made ie cream...just Ben & Jerry's which is nothing special because you can buy it anywhere. We just discovered a farm/scoop shop just West of Sunapee State Park on the drive home and that was nice.

So let's hear from all the locals...when I am traveling to your neck of the woods...where should I go for good local handmade hard packed ice cream?

Here in the Monadnock Region I can think of three:

---Connolly Brothers Farm in Temple. There's is not a scoop shop per se, it is a local farm with a small dairy store selling their eggs, raw milk, meats and really awesome ice cream (pre packed in small cups, half pints and pints. Their mint chocolate chip is the best I have had anywhere and if you get there on the right day you will find the farmers in the shop making the ice cream right in front of you!

---Walpole Creamery in Walpole. I know they are a much bigger operation and sell all over the state/region but they make it locally in Walpole and they do have a scoop shop.

---Central Square Ice Cream in Hillsborough. Not everyone is familiar with this scoop shop but it's an old fashioned soda shop and parlor serving up very good ice cream. The German Bakery right next door makes this stop a double treat!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

A couple of miles south of the state line in Pepperell, MA, Doc Davis's is very good.

In the Lakes Region, the Kellerhaus (just north of Weirs Beach on Route 3) is an institution that doesn't really match what I think of when I read your description. They specialize in make-your-own sundaes, and there's a pretty big gift shop. I haven't been in a great many years, and I never loved going there because it was on the opposite side of the lake from me and after driving 40 minutes to get there, I would have to wait in a long line to get my ice cream. I don't even remember whether I thought the ice cream was especially good, but I know I didn't think it was good enough to justify all that. However, if you're in the area, you might want to check it out.

A place I really want to love is the Sandwich Creamery. Their ice cream is available in some stores (and at my favorite farm stand), and when you trek though the back roads to the source, there's just a little, usually unattended shack where you take what you want and pay on the honor system. Who doesn't want to patronize places like that? (Of course, I just realized that's hardly a "scoop shop"; unless things have changed since I was there, only packaged-to-go servings are available.) And it's in my favorite part of the world. Unfortunately, I just don't think the ice cream is especially good. Again, though, if you're in the area, you might give it a try (bring spoons with you).

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

wpsaukee, we went to the farm where the Center Sandwich Creamery is...it was hard to find off the backroads but definitely fits what I am looking for. I would agree the icream was OK...didn't really wow us.

As for the Kellerhaus...my wife and I walked in and walked out without ice cream. It gave me the creepy crawlies...there were a group of kids with their mom in front of us and they were touching every topping. I cannot imagine how many extra germs and which kids mucous you are going to end up with on your sundae. Yech!!!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

Now that I think about it a little more, I believe the ice cream at the Town Docks in Meredith is very good. I'm pretty sure I had it once, but in any case it gets good reviews on Yelp and other boards,. It may be that this is more broadly "Common Man ice cream"--I don't know that it's made on the premises. I'm a fan of the seafood offerings at the Town Docks.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

How about Kimball's, in Jaffrey? I am pretty sure they make their own at their location in Mass, Groton, I think it is.

Also, it is not hard pack, but Creamland on Valley Street in Manchester has great soft serve, and is an old Manchester institution. Don't know if they pack their own ice cream.

How about Arnie's in COncord? Again, I am pretty sure they make their own hard ice cream. On Loudon Rd, heading out to the mall.

Also in Manchester is Puritan Back Room http://puritanbackroom.com/ice-cream/. They have been making their own since 1917.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

Juat checked their website and Cremeland in Manchester does Indeed make their own hard pack ice cream.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

Veering off topic (or out-of-state) a little bit, LittleRiverBB, I hope you've had a chance to enjoy Richardson's ice cream on its native soil in Middleton, MA (not so far from the NH border). The Richardson family has been dairy farming on that land since the 17th century. Their ice cream is among my favorites.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
540 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

Route 128, we can get Richardson's right in Peterborough so I have not been to the actual farm in Middleton. If I find myself near Middleton we will make a point of going there.

However, that's why I didn't include Kimballs in Jaffrey. They have awesome ice cream but the ice cream is not made on the premise, it is shipped in from Massachusetts. I am looking for LOCAL :)

NextStop, I know we tried some scoop shop in Concord on the main drag leading to the mall. I guess it might have been Arnies.

I know I am sounding high maintenance or like an ice cream snob and I apologize. It's just that we have so many farms in this great state and so many of them likely make their own ice cream. I just want to try them all.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

I know exactly what you mean about the "farms" that truck in the ice cream. I like local, too. However, I'll take Richardson's wherever I can get it-- though it's best right at the source.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

Another farm that makes its own ice cream is the UNH farm. I think it is called The Dairy Bar, located at the old Depot right on campus.

In Nashua is Hayward's Homemade Ice Cream. I know about locations in Nashua (near Rivier College) and in Milford, but I don't know where they make it.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scoop Shops with handmade locally made ice cream?

Hi Little River,

Your post reminded me of a book that one of my professors was writing a couple years ago about Ice Cream in NH and especially locally made stuff.

amazon.com/The-Big-Scoop-Book-Hampshire/dp/0…