We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City and Hotel to stay in New Hampshire

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
City and Hotel to stay in New Hampshire

We will be in new Hampshire in last week of September. Few things that we have planned to do are driving along Kancamagus Highway, cog scenic railway, few hikes in white mountain, a day at Loon mountains. And then drive a day to Vermont.

Based on these activities, which city should we pick to stay in? I see that North Conway is near to White mountains and beautiful too.. Within N Conway, any place specific? If not N Conway, any other suggestions?

Also, have never stayed in Bed n Breakfast Inn's before. Any tips on B&B v/s hotels..?

Appreciate the response !! Thanks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,879 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City and Hotel to stay in New Hampshire

North Conway makes a great base for the activities you have planned. It also has the most and widest variety of lodging options. Be advised that you are planning to visit at the beginning of the busiest time of year. Many of the most popular motels and lodges, especially B&Bs have probably been booked for this week since last year.

Do a search. Look at places like Cranmore Mountain Lodge. Expand your search into Conway, Glen and Jackson, but expect to find maximum rates and minimal availability.

As an alternative, look at Lincoln or Gorham

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City and Hotel to stay in New Hampshire

As usual, Red Rox is right on !! To add a little perspective, North Conway is the commercial hub for the Mount Washington Valley on the east side of the White Mountain Range.... during the time you'll be there, it will have the most traffic and more people than you'll encounter in any of the other towns he mentioned.... but it also will definitely have the greatest variety of lodging and more restaurant choices. Accommodations run anywhere from a majo suites resort to small bed-and-breakfasts. The other places he mentions are smaller towns (in some cases, much smaller), which will have a totally different "feel", but also will have fewer services. But the bottom line may be that you need to find somewhere with a vacancy and then plan your travels from there. Fall foliage season in New Hampshire is extremely popular and "No Vacancy" signs are a frequent sight in late September and early October.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City and Hotel to stay in New Hampshire

To add further to the great advice you have already been given....North Conway is certainly the hub of activity in the Mount Washington Valley. If you can't find lodging in North Conway to suit your preference and budget ( I love the Golden Gables, but I am sure it will already be booked for your travel schedule), you can always check the smaller areas of Jackson, Glen, Intervale, or Bartlett.

All of these towns/villages are a short drive from North Conway and are still in your target area. In Glen, the Golden Apple is a sister resort to the Golden Gables in North Conway, and lives up to the same high reviews.

Tips on B&Bs vs hotels. Picture staying at a B&B as staying in someone's home, with your own private bath (usually) and in the morning being served a wonderful breakfast that you don't have to cook! We stay in one in Calais Maine frequently and we enjoy it, as the owners are outstanding hosts.

Having said that, many folks don't like the idea of staying in a 'stranger's' home, and feeling like you have to be on your best behavior. A hotel is certainly more impersonal and you may enjoy a sense of freedom that may be missing in a B&B. A B&B certainly gives you a chance to sit and talk, find out little known facts and recommendations from people who actually live in the area you are travelling to, and also a chance to meet fellow travellers.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: City and Hotel to stay in New Hampshire

Thank You everyone for all the suggetions. Your response are eye-opener for me...realized one thing that I have to get my bookings done this week.

My preference is going to be North Conway.. But if I can't find one good there, then may be Conway and Glen will be next...

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City and Hotel to stay in New Hampshire

Tina,

The traffic in NC is no small deal. It is essentially a small town with a two lane main road going through it. There are a lot of restaurants, lodging, shopping and outlet stores. The outlets are a big attraction for a lot of people. But, as noted, this is the busiest season, and getting through the NC area can sometimes consume considerable time.

Your drive across the Kanc is going to take you from Conway to Lincoln/Woodstock. The loop around the White Mountains would then take you up through Franconia Notch on I-93 (more of a country road through the Notch), east across Rte 3 and down 302 to Glen and Rte 16 south into North COnway. The point is that Lincoln and Woodstock are right on this route and are very nice places to stay. There are a lot of restaurants, shops, lodgin of all sorts from resorts to chain hotels to B&Bs.

So, if the traffic is a turn off to you, consider staying on the other side of the Whites. Keep in mind, all of this is not a huge area. It is all accessible from anywhere. Plenty of great hiking in the Franconia Notch area.

6. Re: City and Hotel to stay in New Hampshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:16