We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Fall Trip

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
New England Fall Trip

We are trying to put together a rather last minute fly-drive trip to Boston and spend about three or four days driving through Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine to see some fall colors. My husband and I have not been through New England(other than Massachusetts) before, so any and all suggestions would be helpful. We are not on a super-tight budget, but want to keep costs moderate.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Fall Trip

Do you have dates in mind? This will determine where to go to see colors.

The three states are not huge, but they cover more area than you might think. Three to four days is going to be more driving and less staying in one or two places. I would pick one or two destinations.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Fall Trip

We are thinking Oct 1-6. Any suggestions for our destinations? I realize there is a lot to see, but given our limited time, how could it be best spent?

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Fall Trip

Those are very good dates for two reasons. 1) The White Mountains should be in full foliage, give or take 25-50 miles north or south. 2) You will be there in the middle of the week, which will mean less crowds.

Foliage is perhaps the busiest time in NH, especially the White Mountains, and especially !!! Columbus Weekend. I would start your touring in the Whites to take advantage of mid week. Things get busy by Thursday or Friday, so you may want to shift your focus about that time. If you have an interest in seeing the ocean, then head for Maine. If you want all mountains all the time, head for Stowe, VT. But, other than specific attractions, VT and NH mountains will be similar. On the other hand, foliage at the coast tends to be a bit later, so the colors may not be as spectacular but the coast of ME and NH is beautiful and not like anything you will see along Lake Michigan.

Destinations in the Whites - The loop is I-93 north through Franconia Notch, Ret 3 E to 302 south through Crawford Notch to Rte 16 south through North COnway to Kancamagus Highway across the mountains to Lincoln/Woodstock and Rte I-93. Overnight in any of the places along that route - Lincoln/Woodstock, Franconia/Sugar Hill (a couple miles north of Rte 3), Mt Washington Hotel (costly but an experience), Jackson (a couple miles north of Rte 16) North COnway (commercial hub of the Whites - lots of shopping, outlets, traffic, along with all else).

If you choose VT for a few days, I would include some time in Burlington, not far from Stowe. A great small city. Likewise, Portland, ME is a great small city on the coast.

If you choose the coast, I would consider either Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor, Portland or one of many beautiful coastal communities up and down the coast. Bar Harbor is a very special place, but will require 4-5 hours of driving from The Whites, and then another 4-5 hours to return to the airport. WHich one? Manchester or Boston? I would recommend Manchester. Southwest flies direct from Midway and you avoid all the traffic and congestion of both Logan and leaving Boston.

Portland would be a great place to spend a few days. It is a couple of hours from the mountains and a couple more back to the airports. You can get out on the water as well as explore the coastline north and south.

A very nice beach town that is great for a couple of days and would also keep you close to airports is Ogunquit. But there are tons of others, too. Hard to go wrong.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Fall Trip

Thanks so much for the great recommendations! They really help. Any lodging recommendations, or dining or places/areas " not o miss"?

5. Re: New England Fall Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2013, 10:16