We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White christmas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
White christmas

I am traveling with my family from Sydney to the east coast of the US for Christmas this year. We have never experienced a white Christmas before and are looking to stay in a guesthouse style accommodation for a few days over Christmas. I have looked at the town of Jackson and it looks beautiful but I'm not sure what my chances are of getting snow at Christmas. It doesn't have to be snowing on Christmas day but we'd be really disappointed to travel so far and not have some snow on the ground. I know you can't guarantee the weather but if any locals could give me an idea of what my chances are in Jackson for snow at Christmas I would really appreciate it. Or should I consider going further north in the New England area? This doesn't really suit my travel plans and I don't wanted to go to a ski resort as we are going to Colorado in January. Thanks so much for your help.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White christmas

How much snow do you need? Usually some but different from year to yeast. Jackson is great.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White christmas

Jackson would be a great destination for your description of what you're looking for.... Going further north might increase your chances of getting snow... but probably not all that much.... Trying to guess whether or not you'll actually get snow in Jackson at Christmastime eleven-plus months away is really a toss-up. Some years "yes -- plenty of snow" -- other years, "brown, bare ground"... really no way to know much more than a week ahead.....

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White christmas

There are many times when the southern/middle parts of the state get a heavy snowfall while the north gets little or nothing. Overall, sure, you have more chance of snow to the north (and more importantly, in the mountains), but Jackson is far enough north (as well as being in the mountains) that I really don't think your chances would be improved by heading farther north.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White christmas

Although there may not always be snow on the ground, I think it is fair to say that the mountains are always snow capped.

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: White christmas

Christmas in New Hampshire....this year it actually snowed on Christmas morning...just an inch or so....how magical it was to open presents by the fire while the snow gently fell outlside.

Chances of having snow on the ground at Christmas are excellent. If you can, I recommend making your best guess and booking a place. While it's very likely there will be snow, as your arrival date approaches start looking at some of the NH web cams. They're all over the place now and can give you a real time look at the snow situation. Should the weather not cooperate, you will have some time to try to re book.

Jackson would be a good choice but you might think about googling other less touristy places. Perhaps you might like Sugar Hill or Cornish.

Hope this helps

6. Re: White christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 05:16