We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel/area advice

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
hotel/area advice

planning a family trip last week of march. husband and kids want to ski once or twice. I would like to go antiquing and do something cultural. want to see some charming towns and would like really nice accommodations in close proximity to restaurants and activities. considering omni bretton arms or mountain view in Whitefield. which is better? considered redjacket, but feel it may be disappointing and crowded. any other advice? mixed reviews about the omni.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel/area advice

Nobody can tell you which is "better." I have stayed at both the Mount Washington Hotel and the Mountain View Grand and very much enjoyed both of them. I would say that the MWH has more of the feel of a stately high-end resort, and the MVG seems more-family-oriented--horseback riding (though probably not in March) and lots of farm animals, for example.

MWH has a year-round outdoor pool, which is fun.

MVG is very aptly named--a spectacular panoramic vista.

I'm not a skier, but with Bretton Woods right across the street, I believe it has the edge in terms of nearby skiing (both downhill and cross-country). However, you're in the mountains, so there are plenty of ski areas right in the vicinity.

Other than the historical significance of the MWH (Bretton Woods Monetary conference), I don't really think you'll find much of what most people consider "cultural" at either place, and you'll need to do a bit of driving to find charming towns. I am fond of Littleton, which is pretty lively. Bethlehem, on the main drag, is a bit tired, particularly in March, but has some nice shops and cafés. A bit farther away, Bartlett, Hancock, and North Conway are popular with tourists. Of all these towns, Jackson is probably closest to the quintessential New England village. I have no specific ideas about antiquing, but the state is dotted with shops.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel/area advice

Meredith, at the top of Lake Winni, has a number of antique shops. Further south, rt 4 is known as antique alley.

http://www.nhantiquealley.com/

3. Re: hotel/area advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 05:17