We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

Canberra
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

We're driving from Boston along the coastal road to Nova Scotia then across to Quebec/Montreal/Toronto in early May and are ideas of things to see and do along the way. We don't mind driving and like to hit the road early to make the most of the trip. Tend to be more scenic rather than historical people and already have Bay of Fundy on our itinerary. Will not have time this trip to get into the White Mtns but are really keen for ideas/things to do along the way. Some ideas we already have are Newport, Rhode Island and Salem but all other ideas are appreciated.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

Not a long list of things to recommend in New Hampshire on your way north..... you'll only pass through about 20 miles of New Hampshire between Massachusetts and Maine.... two possible stops along the way might be Hampton Beach, NH (nice beach) and Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth, NH (it's called historic, but the architecture is also interesting).... Just over the border into Maine, be sure to Google driving directions to The Nubble Lighthouse in York, ME -- great welcome-to-Maine stop.

Canberra
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

Thanks for the ideas. Any suggestions from your part of the world (Maine)?

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

Ahh, see now where you are coming from to get to Cape Breton. How early in May ??? On your Cape Breton part you talked about starting from Sydney , so I thought you were flying into Sydney ; but now that I see you are driving , that changes things because can better advise you if we knew the general path here on a day by day basis , and your target locations , to give you good advice . Like what did you plan for in Sydney, where are you the day before and after the Cabot Trail. Coming from Maine into New Brunswick, you have three border crossing options and depending on the time of day can impact ,but regardless to get from Bangor To Moncton, each route takes about the same amount if time even though they may not look like it

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

First off -- hope you realize that Newport, Rhode Island is basically the opposite direction from the rest of the destinations you've mentioned you want to include.... but then again, unless I missed it, you haven't said how much time you have to make this trip, so Rhode Island may not be a problem....

You could consider Boston-Newport-Salem MA in a day so long as you didn't plan on spending too much time in Newport....

Then the next day, head north for Portland ME with stops in Portsmouth, NH; Nubble Lighthouse in York, ME; Perkins Cove section of Ogunquit, ME (although you could be a bit pre-season for it); and on to Portland Head Light lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, ME (just outside Portland). An overnight in Portland would giive you a chance to check out the restored Old Port District (funky even if you're not into history) and some fantastic restaurants to choose from in that area.

Next day, Portland to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park with en route stops at the Rockland, ME breakwater and lighthouse; Camden ME harbor; and the Mt Battie Auto Road in Camden Hills State Park, just north of Camden. As you arrive in Bar Harbor, watch for the Acadia National Park Visitor's Center (in the village of Hull's Cove on your right as you head up a hill) -- staff and rangers there can show you how to make the most of your time in the Park. Overnight two nights in Bar Harbor, using the day in between to explore Acadia National Park and local attractions.

Next day, Bar Harbor ME to Saint John, NB via Machias ME with a short side trip to the coastal village of Lubec, ME (scenic little coastal village) between Machias and Calais, and another side trip to St Andrews, NB between St Steohen and Saint John,.... keep in mind that you'll lose an hours time as you cross from Maine into New Brunswick because they're in a different time zone. When it's 3:00PM in Calais, ME, it's already 4:00PM in St Stephen, NB.

Many of the suggested stops listed above can be Googled directly for additional info and photos.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
181 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

While going along the NH coast, you'll pass Rye Harbor which a lot of people say is a very 'pretty' & scenic spot for them-fishing & pleasure boats at anchor in a small harbor. It's directly on the coast road so you won't have to go out of your way at all.

Shortly after passing Rye, you might want to consider turning onto Route 1-B for a short detour thru New Castle which is a very scenic town. This might be required as the R1-A bridge may be closed for replacement by the time you arrive.

Re: NB-might want to Google Hopewell Rocks as it's definitely a unique spot you might want to consider.

Enjoy.

Canberra
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

Hey all, thanks for the advice. Will certainly take a note of all your suggestions and call in at these places. Now thinking we should be adding another week to our trip. Love driving our way around the US/Canada region - the people are so helpful.. Once again, thanks heaps.

7. Re: Travelling from Boston to Nova Scotia in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about New Hampshire