We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should we see???

Royal Oak Michigan
Level Contributor
101 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
What should we see???

This will be my husband's and my first trip to the area. We will be staying a week at the Attitash Mountain Village Resort. What should we see while there? We love to see more of the landscape rather than commercial areas. We would also like to take a day to drive to the east coast and see the ocean. Any suggestions for where we should make our destination for the day to be able to get back to Barlett on the same day?

Thanks so much. Everyone has always been so helpful on any of the trips that we take.

Mentioned in this post
Attitash Mountain Village
Attitash Mountain Village
445 Reviews
Bartlett, NH
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should we see???

Make the loop drive from Bartlett to Twin Mountain to Franconia Notch to Lincoln to Conway (via Rt 112) to Bartlett and take your time -- get out of the car and enjoy the scenery.... Make another loop from Bartlett south to Glen to Jackson (drive through the coverd bridge into the village) to Gorham to Gilead ME (just west of Bethel) then down Rt 113 through Evans Notch to Fryeburg and then back to Conway, North Conway and Bartlett.

Nearest place to get to the ocean is probably Portland, ME -- just under two hours one-way from Bartlett. Good chance to visit Portland Head Light lighthouse, take the Casco Bay Lines mailboat ferry to/past several coastal islands, stroll the historic Old Port District (some outstanding restaurants there) and still have time for the two hour drive back to Bartlett.

Mentioned in this post
Bartlett
Bartlett
White Mountains, NH
Twin Mountain
Twin Mountain
White Mountains, NH
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
88 Reviews
Franconia, NH
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
Gorham
Gorham
White Mountains, NH
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light
1,783 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Casco Bay Lines
Casco Bay Lines
481 Reviews
Portland, ME
Old Port
Old Port
982 Reviews
Portland, ME
Royal Oak Michigan
Level Contributor
101 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should we see???

Thank you so much! Any suggestions for a restaurant on the water in Portland?

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should we see???

Here is a starter list of things to do.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should we see???

Two of our favorite places to take visitors from "inland" states, depending on the kind of experience we're looking for, are:

DeMillo's Floating Restaurant... on the waterfront in the Old Port area.... a restaurant built into a converted ferry boat... it literally floats on the harbor and is surrounded by a marina. Some folks claim it's too tourist-oriented, but we've had some good times there watching the boat traffic come and go and their seafood is consistently good (although maybe not great!). It's handy to the Old Port and easy to get to if you happen to run into bad weather. Our other choice is The Lobster Shack at Two Lights, just down the street from Portland Head Light lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth (a Portland suburb). It's a smallish place with indoor or outdoor picnic table dining, perched on a coastal ledge overlooking the water. Good seafood and a great atmosphere on a nice day -- but it can get crowded, especially if you want to dine indoors. Which will work better for you may depend on the kind of dining experience you're looking for, whether or not you're going out to the lighthouse, and your budget. Both restaurants can be Googled for more info and photos.

Or, if you're headed up Rt 1 to Freeport for a stop at L.L. Bean, check out Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster, literally on the harbor in South Freeport. An order-at-the-window take-it-to-a-picnic-table kind of place, it gives you a good feel for a small Maine coastal harbor. May not be worth the time-and-distance if you aren't already going to Freeport, but a great destination if you are. It too can be Googled for menu, photos, driving directions etc.

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
982 Reviews
Portland, ME
Lobster Shack
Lobster Shack
890 Reviews
Ogunquit, ME
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light
1,783 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Royal Oak Michigan
Level Contributor
101 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should we see???

Again, thank you for your help. We have never been to the east coast and are getting excited about our trip!

6. Re: What should we see???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:16