We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to NH with two small kids

Sacramento
1 post
Save Topic
Travel to NH with two small kids

Hi, my husband and I are looking to travel to New Hampshire at the end of September with our two young sons, ages 3 and 4. We are flying into Boston and will be staying about a week. We want to get a good taste of what New Hampshire has to offer as we are considering moving there in the next few years. What are some towns/areas that we should check out? Any sites that are a must? Thanks in advance for any help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to NH with two small kids

You'll be traveling at the height of fall color "leaf peeping" season. Expect to find most lodging commanding premium rates and many probably fully booked already.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to NH with two small kids

The fall foliage issues identified by RedRox may be a real challenge in some areas -- many folks booked reservations for this year's foliage season when they were here last year. But those challenges aside, to get a "good taste of what NH has to offer" suggests you'll need to visit several different parts of the state, which again may be problematic with your dates because during the height of foliage season some places have a multiple-nights stay requirement. Those issues aside, you probably should look at an urban area (maybe Manchester), somewhere in the Lakes region (Laconia maybe), somewhere in the White Mountains (commercial-services area would be North Conway; more remote would suggest places like Gorham or Franconia); north country area like Berlin.... NH has a variety of "feels" depending on where in the state you are and what kind of lifestyle you're looking for...

If you get to the North Conway area, the sons might enjoy a visit to Storyland, or a bit further afield to Santa's Village -- both places can be Googled for more info....

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
543 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to NH with two small kids

In addition to the East side of the state that Mainer focuses on, there is...

The Dartmouth/Sunapee region (the central Connecticut River valley) where main hubs might be Hanover and New London. Hanover is where Dartmouth College is located and there is plenty to see and do around the River Valley. New London is home to Colby Sawyer and is close to Sunapee Harbor, Lake Sunapee, and Sunapee State Park (all really nice areas to see).

The Monadnock Region in the Southwest part of the state where Keene and Peterborough are more the hubs. Keene is a state college town of 22,000 which has a nice mix of small city/big town feel and the access to arts and culture is great. Peterborough is a town of 6,000 that is very artsy with a vibrant downtown. Both have easy access to Mt Monadnock, the most climbed mountain in North America.

If the coast is your preference, Portsmouth is a great little city and has easy access to Boston and Portland.

There are of course many wonderful small towns around all of these areas!

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
391 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to NH with two small kids

NH is a great State to raise a family in, but the first question I would ask is what do you do for a living? Nashua, Portsmouth and Manchester are great for hightech and finance. But some areas of the State don't have a single job that requires a "Tie" or pays more than $30K. So your job requirements will dictate where you can afford to live.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
111 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to NH with two small kids

You are going to LOVE NH! My newest blog entry is about great hikes for families in NH:

…blogspot.com/2013/06/5-best-family-hikes-in…

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to NH with two small kids

As you can see, and will continue to see, everyone has their favorite parts of the state. What are you looking for in moving to NH? Small cities? Towns? near to big cities or rural? As was asked, what kind of work do you intend to pursue? What is taking you here? Family? A job/company? Any of these may dictate the parts of the state you will want to spend time in, and suggestions we all may be able to offer.

As for the kids, just a few ideas - Kid oriented Science and Hands on Museums include - SEE MJuseum in Manchester; Seacoast Science Center at Odiorne Point on the ocean near Postsmouth; Children's Museum in Dover; Squam Lake Science Center in Holderness; Montshire Science Museum in Norwich, VT across the river from Hanover; The Weather Museum in N. COnway. I am sure I am leaving out some others. All of these are great hands on places for kids. Oh, and the Crista McAuliffe Science Center and Planetarium in COncord.

Then there are the petting farms - Friendly Farm in Dublin in the Monadnock region, and I know there are others that I am not thinking of.

RedRox and others are right about hotel reservations. But in late September, you may have more difficulty in the White Mountains and maybe Lakes Region. South of that area, things should be a little more open as foliage season is a couple of weeks later in the southern tier. Also, if you do not stay in the primo locations, you may have more availability. But definitely be aware that late September to mid October is the busiest time in the state.

7. Re: Travel to NH with two small kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:17