We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend in New England

los angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Long weekend in New England

Hello there,

I am almost embarrassed to ask this but I need advice on a very short itinerary to New England this fall. I am on a quest to cover all 50 states before I turn the big 5-0. Don't ask why!

I love to travel and explore areas hence the embarrassment in cutting time so short in so great an area.

But - I have 2 young kids and limited vacation time so - a Thursday flight into Boston ( from the west coast!),Friday, sat, sun, fly home Monday. I am thinking a loop. Boston- York Maine, White Mountains NH, Vermont (help), back to Boston.

Any help appreciated.

los angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend in New England

Sorry - I just realized this was not enough information. I will be travelling with my husband and 2 elementary school kids. We love beautiful scenery ( well my husband and I do, the kids probably couldn't care less) and would enjoy small towns with character. We will likely spend the first night in Boston then Fri, Sat, Sun somewhere in New England. We are ok with changing accommodations. Trip will be 2nd week of Oct. thank you trip advisr friends.

NH
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend in New England

I think I would start looking for hotels and plan my route around their locations. That's Columbus Day Weekend...the busiest "leaf peeping" weekend. I'm sure that lots of hotels/inns are already beginning to fill.

NH
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend in New England

...Or require a two night minimum.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend in New England

Or you could stay a bit out of the primo leaf peeping areas, have easier availability, lower rates and a bit of a drive to whatever you want to do. But the area is pretty compact. Staying an hour south of the Whites is still pretty close.

That said, your goal may still present you with a fair bit of driving, a lot of it on winding two lane roads, which may be entertaining for you and your husband, but maybe not so much for the kids. I am curious about your 50 state quest. Have you already been to any of these four states? Is the goal to set foot in each? Do something memorable? Stay overnight in each? Boston to York, ME is not too far a drive. York has the Nubble Light, a very cool place you all will enjoy. But you may want to include a beach walk. I would suggest one of the NH beaches along Rte 1A - Hampton, or one of the State Beaches further up the coast. Or, continue north from York to Ogunquit, walk the beach and the Marginal Way (rock cliifs over the ocean) to Perkins Cove. Then on to NH.

When you get to the White Mtns, you will be in Peak Fall Foliage, or at least that what everyone coming to the area is expecting and the local commerce is fully geared up to welcome you and your plastic. Really, it is very friendly, but very busy. But no reason not to join in the festivities. As was suggested, you might do better reserving for two nights in one place. I would suggest someplace to the northwest of The Whites and Franconia Notch, where you can easily spend some of your time exploring the Whites, and some of it crossing over and exploring VT. Littleton, NH and St. Johnsbury, VT are two lovely small cities (15K people?) about 25 minutes apart. Or stay in a town like Franconia, Sugar Hill, or other NH towns. There are a lot of attractions that will get you out and about in Franconia Notch State Park - Tram Ride up Cannon Mt., The Flume, The Basin, and more. You can also drive the circuit around the Whites from the notch across Rte 3 and 302 to Glen, down Rte 16 to North COnway and back across the Kancamagus Hwy to the base of Franconia Notch. But you and everyone else with a car will be doing this circuit. It is beautiful, worth the drive, but popular that weekend and can be slow in places.

Then, you could easily drop into Vt for a day of exploring the St. J and the Northeast Kingdom, a beautiful, rural area of small towns, beautiful scenery, and other gems in the northeast section of VT. Throughout NH and VT, in these areas, I am sure you come upon or can find out about and plan on attending, all kinds of local fall festivals. These are all very family and kid friendly and may featuer farmer's markets, craft fairs, parades, rides, etc. There are many other compelling places to see in VT, but the nice thing with this plan is that you stay put for a couple of days and get to enjoy a fairly compact area. Les driving and more fun. And when it is time to head back to Boston, Littleton is only about 2.5 hours to Logan Airport..

los angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long weekend in New England

Good advice NH! Thanks.

los angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long weekend in New England

NextStopls - thanks so much for your very thorough reply! Lots of great advice.

To answer your question, I ave not been to VT,NH or ME. I have been to Mass a few times. My goal is at the very minimum to drive thru and spend a little time in each state. The states that I have visited so far have included an overnight stay except for 2. I am up to 24 with 4 to come next month and 2 in September. I have 2 years to hit the other 20.

After conferring with my husband we've realized that New England will have to wait until February. This fall is just too busy. With that said, I'm sure I will be asking my trip advisor friends about Stowe skiing and where to go in NH,ME in winter.

Thanks again for the advice! I would still like to visit New England in the fall when my quest is complete.

7. Re: Long weekend in New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19