We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Squam Lake to Boston

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Squam Lake to Boston

Hi

I'll be travelling with my husband in September from Squam Lake NH to Boston MA. We'll be leaving Squam Lake on Friday 13th and need to be in Boston that afternoon/evening. I'm very interested in hearing about different routes we could travel. I was thinking of coming down through Rochester, and then out to Portsmouth and then travel down the coast to Newburyport and call in to Cape Ann. I'm happy to give Salem a miss (being Friday 13th and all!)...

or... should we head out to Portland ME and do the coast from there?

I'd be pleased to hear any thoughts on routes/highways/sights.

Thanks

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Squam Lake to Boston

All of the places you're thinking about are great, but that's pretty ambitious for one day. I guess you could have lunch in one of the towns (Portsmouth or Newburyport--I don't think there's any reason to stop in Rochester) and maybe stop for a quick look at one or two places along the coast. I would rule out Portland, just because of the added distance.

I'm a big fan of Portsmouth and Essex County/Cape Ann, but you'll get only a rather superficial taste, I'm afraid. Still, it could be done. As far as the routes are concerned, I think you should just take the fastest ones to give yourself as much time as possible in the places you stop. From Squam, that's probably via I-93 to Concord and I-393/202/4 to Portsmouth. But see what Google Maps says.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Squam Lake to Boston

I'd agree with wpsuakee. Pick one destination, on either route, and enjoy that stop. Your suggested route through Rochester, etc., is picturesque, but slow. As a straight drive, I would think that the I-93 route may be two hours, and the other route could be 3 hours or more, depending on where/how you go from Portsmouth. Friday afternoon rush hour traffic could slow you down on either route if you arrive in the area after 3PM. Also, where in Boston do you need to go? That could be part of the consideration.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Squam Lake to Boston

Thanks for the replies... yes I thought it was pretty ambitious... but we just won't have a lot of time unfortunately.

Google Maps says it's just under 4 hours to Boston via Concord, Portsmouth, Cape Ann ... so with stops we can do it in 6+ hours which is not a problem.

I really do thank you for the tips ... so we'll give Portland a miss...

That just means I'll have to have another trip to the US!

Thanks again!

4. Re: Squam Lake to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about New Hampshire