We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall 2013

Irvine, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Fall 2013

Hi,

We are (me and my wife) are planning for a trip to Buffalo in Mid Oct (Driving to family to Toronto for 2 days and back). From there we want to either Drive(One way car rental) to NH (fall colors) via Albany (suggest any better route) to Manchester,NH. or fly to NH and then drive around for fall colors.

Second option is

Drive to Montreal, enter via Vermont and drive to Manchester and see fall colors en route.

(One way car rental)

Either way we are okay to take 1 or 2 stops (nights in a hotel) en route to enjoy the scenery.

Please suggest and share your experience at each Border crossings(wait time, number of lanes, timings etc). and best way to see fall colors

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall 2013

Mid October may be the touchy piece of this. Prime foliage in the White Mountains tends to be the earlier side of mid-October. Columbus weekend is typically high probability, and because of the three day weekend, the busiest weekend in NH. If you are planning for about that time, you should be good for foliage, but DO make your reservations as far ahead as you can. If you are a week or more after that weekend, you may find that the prime colors have drifted south of the Whites, from the Lakes region (i.e. Winnipesaukee, et al.) to the Concord area and in the western and moving more to the southwestern part of the state.

If you are coming from Toronto, you may do better to come up toward Ottawa and Montreal. I think you will see some good foliage along the route in Canada. Then, choose a border crossing and cut across NY, VT and NH. My choice would be coming down into western VT, then down I-89 to Rte 2 east across VT and into NH. If it is peak foliage, that should be one spectacular drive. Other folks may have other border crossing suggestions.

Your other suggestion about crossing in Niagara Falls and coming across NY to Albany, then across to VT and NH, is one I am very familiar with, though not specifically in foliage season. If you are driving later in October, that route will bring you into southwestern NH (The Monadnock Region). If foliage is tops then, southern VT, the Monadnock Region and then north to the Hanover/Lebanon (Dartmouth COllege) and Lake Sunapee region would be right where you will come in. I have two unknowns and possible concerns for you to consider. The route around from Toronto to Niagara Falls is a very congested area and a busy border crossing. Definitely use the northern (I-190) crossing to avoid the center of the NF tourist area. Locals will know what and when to avoid.

My other thought on this route is that I don't think that most of it will be a very foliage-picturesque area to drive through, until maybe east of Utica, as you go through the Mohawk valley. So, a lot of hard fast driving until you get east of Albany. But then, the scenery is gorgeous, and if it is full foliage, well worth the drive.

Irvine, California
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall 2013

Thanks NextStopIs. Now comes the question for Border crossing. I got a fair idea on Border crossing at Niagara. Does any one have experience for border crossing at QC-133 S(Canada) to I89( US)? Below are directions copied from google maps (Montreal to Burlington, VT)

21. Take exit 22 to merge onto Autoroute 35 S toward Autoroute 89/Saint-Luc/Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu

12.0 mi

22. Continue onto Chemin des Patriotes E

7.1 mi

23. Continue onto QC-133 S

Entering United States (Vermont)

17.5 mi

24. Continue onto I-89 S

3. Re: Fall 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 06:21