We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route suggestions??

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic route suggestions??

I’m looking for a one day scenic drive from Boston Logan airport ( we arrive late morning) to the start of the New Hampshire Kancamagus scenic byway … and suggestions on what town/area to stay the night.

Our plan is to spend the two and a half days after that first night, driving the Kancamagus byway ending up back in Worcester Mass for a wedding weekend.

Any suggestions you may have would be very much appreciated .. thank you!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic route suggestions??

I doubt you'll spend two and a half days driving the Kancamagus, as it's only 35 miles long. Besides the Kanc, visit all three notches (Franconia, Crawford, and Pinkham). Drive Bear Notch Road between Bartlett and the Kancamagus..

I frequently recommend that visitors tour the lovely, less-traveled area south of the mountains. Check this post: tripadvisor.com/…51338996

Edited: 01 August 2013, 22:46
Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic route suggestions??

Lincoln,NH is on one end of the Kanc and North Conway,NH is on the other end. I would suggest, you split your 2 days between these two towns and in that way you could drive the entire park as suggested by wpsaukee.

If you are looking for a drive before you enter the White mountains-Kanc region, I have couple of suggestions -

* Lakes Region - Weirs Beach, Meredith or Wolfeboro. You could stay in one of these towns and drive around the lake region and maybe also visit the Castle in the Clouds.

* Sea Coast - Drive from Boston to Salisbury,MA and then take Route 1A & drive along the coast to Portsmouth.

Meredith, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic route suggestions??

The previous post had some great ideas. Lincoln is a little quieter than Conway, which offers a lot of shopping outlets and traffic. Lincoln is right near Franconia notch where you might enjoy a gorgeous gondola ride to the top of Cannon Mountain or a very scenic stroll through The Basin or The Flume.

In the Lakes Region, you might like a cruise on the Mount Washingon or one of the mailboats, all on Lake Winnepesaukee. Meredith offers 2 theaters for wonderful live plays and several places to rent boats, paddleboards, or kayaks.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,776 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic route suggestions??

try route 16 from Portsmouth NH

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic route suggestions??

Just to add to the previous posts and to give you a sense of dimension. There is a great, popular and beautiful circuit drive around the White Mtns that was alluded to in the other posts. Basically, starting with the Kanc in Conway, across the mountains to Lincoln/Woodstock, north through Franconia Notch on I-93, east on Rte 3 to Twin Mountain and then east/south on Rte 302 through Crawford Notch to Rte 16, south back to N. Conway and Conway. Then you can also go north on Rte 16 through Pinkham Notch to Mt. Washington and up to Gorham. Also, along Rte 302 in Bartlett you can take Bear Brook Rd. through White Mtns back to the Kanc.

The basic circuit is about 3 hours of driving, without stops. The devil is in the details and attractions, what you want to do, where you stop, are you a looker, a walker or a hiker, etc. Driving, the area is not huge. But there is so much to do, it is easy to just stay in one place and explore what is nearby.

6. Re: Scenic route suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:17