We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

Cardiff
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

Hi, I know this isn't an original question, but I really need advice. Flying into Boston from UK on either 2/3 or 9/10 Oct. Current rough plan: 3/4 nights Woodstock/Rochester VT, drive to North Conway/Jackson NH on rt 112 for 2/3 nights, then 3 nights Portsmouth ME and back to Boston for a couple of nights.

Planning to do day trips from these locations. My questions are: 1) would North Conway or Jackson be best place to stay, or would you suggest somewhere else (we have a coupel of days for day trips to see as much as possible!) 2) Is this the most sensible way round, or should we reverse the trip and end up in Vermont, 3) any predictions on fall being early or late that would help the decision on which date to fly? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I'm aware that we're really late planning this trip and need to move now on accommodation - if it isn't already too late! Thanks. Rhiannon

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

I love a long holiday that is not to busy. No predictions on fall but you should still have plenty of color. Jackson is 15 minutes from NC so doesn't matter logistically. But they are very different towns . NC is the " commercial" center and other is small quaint town. Whichever you choose to stay in, you will visit the other.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,379 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

Where you stay could be determined by availability of lodging. Get busy and check on who has vacancies. Early October dates get booked over 6 months in advance

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

Also keep in mind that Oct 11-14 is a holiday weekend here. It is also the busiest weekend in NH. If you can avoid that weekend in NH, you will find more lodging options and less crowds, especially if you come here the days right after that weekend. If you arrive 2/3 Oct, the weekend of 4-6 will also be quite busy. If you can plan your stay in NH during the week, that will have some enjoyable advantages.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

Hi Neslaw1, thanks for the reply. Jackson was pretty booked up, so I've reserved a room in Intervale which seemed to be the next best thing! Appreciate your help.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

Hi RedRox, thanks for the warning - you're not joking! Unfortunately we had to make the decision to travel very late in the day. I've managed to find somewhere in Killington and Intervale so far - now working on Maine!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

Hi NextStopIs

Thanks for the tip. It's worked out that we're in NH 6th - 9th so mostly during the week, which will hopefully help with the crowds.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

intervale is just around the corner so don't worry about that. You will be able to spend as much time as you want walking around beautiful Jackson and its falls. I am looking forward to getting there just before you.

8. Re: Help with 14 night fall itinerary VT, New Hampshire, ME

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21