We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall trip 2-3 hrs from Boston

Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Fall trip 2-3 hrs from Boston

I am looking for a fall foliage destination in NH or VT that allows for some mountain hiking (with kids-ages 5-8) and fall photography. Ideally cabins or small cottages near the Whites would be great, but don't see too many options in either Lincoln or Conway. I am wondering if I should be looking at other towns nearby that are not as famous as the above two gateway towns for the Kanc Hwy. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall trip 2-3 hrs from Boston

Yes, that may be a good idea. Distances are not that far. Any town on or near the roads circling the White Mountains (Kanc, I-93/Franconia Notch, Rte 3, Rte 2, Rte 302, Rte 16) would probably work fine for you. Depending on when you plan to come up, going further north or south may be a good option. Even in prime weeks, staying as far south as a line from Hanover to Franklin/Tilton, Laconia/Meredith or even the south end of Lake Winnipesaukee, will afford great color, beautiful vistas, and easy access to as much of the Whites or the Connecticut Valley (NH/VT) as you want.

CHeck www.visitnh.gov, the NH tourism site, for lodging links by region. Also check VRBO.com and other vacation rental sites.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
88 Reviews
Franconia, NH
Hanover
Hanover
New Hampshire
Tilton
Tilton
New Hampshire
Laconia
Laconia
New Hampshire
Meredith
Meredith
White Mountains, NH
Lake Winnipesaukee
Lake Winnipesaukee
96 Reviews
New Hampshire
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall trip 2-3 hrs from Boston

I am assuming this is a week and not a day trip if you are looking for cabins, etc. look at vrbo.com or weneedavacation.com. there are many options for condos around MW. You may also want to look at the Sunapee region which has lots of hiking, scenic views, etc that are good for young kids.

Mentioned in this post
Sunapee
Sunapee
New Hampshire
Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
528 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall trip 2-3 hrs from Boston

I agree There are Tons of 2 bedroom Condos in Bartlett for rent in VBRO for as little as $75 a night. Bartlett is just North of North Conway and is a perfect spot for a family trip to the White Mountains. Lots of hiking trails. The Saco river, restaurants and just 10 minutes to the North Conway Train Station.

Mentioned in this post
Bartlett
Bartlett
White Mountains, NH
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Saco River
Saco River
17 Reviews
Maine
Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall trip 2-3 hrs from Boston

Great suggestions, thanks all-have to do some more rsearching with the tips received from your messages!

5. Re: Fall trip 2-3 hrs from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:17