We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/City Base & Routing Recommendations Sept/Oct

New Orleans...
4 posts
Save Topic
Hotel/City Base & Routing Recommendations Sept/Oct

My grown daughter and I from New Orleans are doing a 5-day Mother/Daughter New England fall trip, flying into and out of Providence end of Sept/beginning of Oct. Areas we'd love to visit besides Providence are: Newport, Kennebunkport, Portland, Conway, White Mts, Kancamagus Hwy, Waterbury, and any points of interest you'd suggest.

Instead of traveling from one area to the next and staying in a different hotel each night, could you suggest an area/accommodations as a base of operation for day trips returning to base at night? A friend suggested Sunapee or Concord? And how would you suggest routing those cities?

AAA has us going from Newport up the coast to Portland, to Conway and Waterbury, and then circling back down to Providence via Manchester and Concord. I'd rather stay in one hotel for 3 or 4 nights instead of a different one each night.

Am I being overly-ambitious? We just can't wait to get started and visit beautiful NH and as much of New England as we can fit into our 5 days.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
378 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/City Base & Routing Recommendations Sept/Oct

Your pushing it but my recommendation would be two Base camps or three if you are arriving late into Providence. If so drive straight to Newport and get a hotel (ALL HOTEL RESERVATIONS SHOULD BE BOOKED ASAP). Enjoy Newport and the next morning head North on 95 and then 93.

First stop Canterbury Shaker Village 20 min. North of Concord. Then North on 93 to Lincoln and East On the Kanc. Stop at the cascades on the left there is a large rest area. Then into Mount Washington Valley and your 2nd Base. Try Jackson Bartlett or North Conway for a room. At this late date you should contact the Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce and the Jackson Chamber since most hotels will be sold out. Also check VRBO.com since you are staying 2 nights. (Glen Ellis Falls, Mount Washington Hotel, Bretton Woods, The Village Of Jackson, Diana's Bath, Conway Scenic Rail Way, One hour south on Route 16 and Route 25 gets you to Meredith and the lakes region, Mount Washington Auto Road, Hikes, Weather Museum, and North Conway Shopping)

After The White Mountains Head East on Route #302 to Portland, ME 3rd Base Camp. (Casco Bay Ferry To Peaks Island, Portland Headlight, Freeport LL Bean Shopping, Dimillo's Floating Restaurant, The Old Port, Portland Museum of Art, Portsmouth NH Kennebunk Port, Booth Bay )

Last Day Book it back to the Airport 3.5 Hours. That's what I would do.

2. Re: Hotel/City Base & Routing Recommendations Sept/Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:18