We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Boston, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Looking for a nice family friendly resort and ski area (would like right on mountain) to take my first time skiers ages 3& 8 within 3 hours of Boston. Would like to be able to tube and have other kid activities. My husband and I will not be skiing.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

If you are looking for a day trip place, i would suggest Crotched Mountain in Bennington, Pat's Peak in Henniker, or Gunstock in Gilford. No need to go farther north and these are great family places and great for learning. Pat's has tubing, Crotched does not, don't know about Gunstock.

If you ars looking for a resort, I would recommend King Pine. Very family oriented with a lot of outdoor and indoor activities, relaxed family style dining and an awesome tubing hill.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Yup, Pat's Peak would have been my suggestion. NextStopisSoSmart :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Gary

Every single resort wants to teach your kids to ski and will have a good program. You could head out to the Berkshires or hit any of the resorts in VT or NH. My dad used to drive me from Framingham to Waterville Valley. Are you skiing? If not, then may want someplace where you have some amenities as well. Probably more important that you pick a day with great weather (not to cold, windy, icy). We started the kids at Stratton at 3 and 5. I haven't been to Pat's, Crotched, etc in decades and don't remember them as having on mountain lodging but could be wrong (did not take the time to look at the websites) but seems you are looking for this kind of place rather than a daytripper local's mountain (hill). Other options include Attitash, Loon.

NH
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

If you want to be right on the mountain that changes things a little. You may need to look at some of the better known resorts...like Loon or Bretton Woods. I don't know if any of the smaller "learning mountains" have on slope accommodations. I know that Pat's doesn't.

neslaw is right about all of the resort areas wanting to teach your kids to ski. And with the 3 year old you are more likely to find a "tadpole" class at one of the larger resorts. At some of the smaller ski areas you might find age requirements for starters.

I think at one time or another I have probably skied at least 80% of the ski areas in NH; but it has been a very long time since I have paid close attention to the ski schools...and things do change.

If you yourself are not going to ski, you might consider a look at Cranmore on the edge of North Conway. The town itself will have all of the activities and about everything you are looking for.

This may boil down to how important accommodations on the slope are. And the starting age for students at the ski school.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
378 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

If you want a great first timer experience. Pick Cranmore in North Conway. The baisic trail pass is FREE. and there is tons of stuff off the mountain. Then ther is tubing and night skiing for fun.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Gary, if you'll take a bit of unsolicited advise from a ski instructor. It isn't going to be about the ski hill or even the instruction. Like said above, every hill will be glad to teach your kids and has trained instructors who will do a good job at. But there are a few development stages kids have to have reached before they are actually going to be able to get much advantage from a lesson. And the key one that might be important for your 3 year old (and sometimes even for a 5 year old) is do they have the leg strength to get into and hold a wedge. Often the answer is no. And is not, then we can play with them on the snow. We can have them going up and down the hill. But it really won't be skiing with legitimate turns until they can do that.

Now, that doesn't mean don't take them. I took my grandkids when they were 4 & 5 and they did great. But the difference in that one year between them was pretty big. Even though the 4-year-old was natural athlete in several other sports, he was only able to bomb the hills while his sister could really execute a nice turn.

If you were going to be skiing with them, I would give you a few hints about how to enjoy the day playing with them that would help set things up to be ahead of the game the following year. But as it sounds like you're going to be turning them over to the ski school, then my best suggestion is that you call around and see if you can find a place where they might be willing to teach "direct to parallel" and just skip the wedge altogether.

The other suggestion is to go on a fresh powder day, because fresh powder slows everything down, and your kids will be able to just point themselves straight down the hill without fear of every going so fast as to be out of control.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 02:16
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Pat's Peak in Henniker, hands down. Beginner area is free (to everyone!) and lessons/rentals are reaonably priced. Food in the pub is decent too.

NH
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Slick_Tracy, yes, Pat's Peak is wonderful! However, this OP is looking for accommodations slope side (I believe), a ski program for a 3 year old and tubing... none of which Pat's offers (to the best of my knowledge).

Let's direct and try to answer inquiries in a manner that will help an OP to find what they are looking for.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Gary, I'm headed to Boston this weekend. Don't know what your schedule is, but likely to be going skiing on Monday (Feb. 10), if you're still looking for help, PM me.

NH
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a place for first time skiers age 3 & 8

Correction: Pat's Peak does offer tubing but recommends reservations in advance.