We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
304 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

I know nothing about New Hampshire but looking for somewhere on the East Coast to rent a cabin or cottage for a week. Can you suggest which locations would work for:

Sunny/warm in June

Walking distance from water, where we could potentially do kayaking/ paddleboarding/ rafting/ etc

Walking distance from hiking routes, maybe somewhere to ride horses

In or walking distance from a town/place with nice restaurants and some entertainment. (Eg we enjoyed a weekend in Provincetown MA).

We do not have drivers licenses and would be aiming to get there using public transport from Washington DC. We're clueless about where to go. All advice v gratefully received!

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Outdoor New England
Kayaking & Canoeing, Yoga & Pilates, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Northern Waters Outfitters
River Rafting & Tubing, Kayaking & Canoeing
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

Pittsburg NH! 5 Lakes, hiking trails, lakeside cabins in abundance. Bear Tree Cabins offer free kayaks usage as well. Beautiful location!

NH
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

AtBearTree, the OP has no car. "Good luck" getting to Pittsburg with no car!

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

I think you need to reconsider New Hampshire. There simply are not many places you can go without a car. There are buses to some major cities -- but those will not get to to hiking trails or lakes.

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

It's not in New Hampshire, but Boothbay Harbor, Maine, is a fairly walkable town that would give you access to the water (kayaking, paddleboarding, and more), hiking (Boothbay Region Land Trust), restaurants (downtown, etc...). To get there via public transport you would probably end up taking a bus to Wiscassett, and then hiring a taxi to take you down to Boothbay Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

LMM or RedRox or others, does the Concord Coach stop at Mt. Washington Base Station? Where is the stop in N. Conway? The OP could use this to access trails and ovetnight stay at Mt. Washington. Also could stay at a nearby inn and maybe even a condo or house near downtown NC. Are there shuttles that take hikers to trails in the White Mtns?

Other than that I would agree that finding some combo of lake, river, or ocean for the water activities described, hiking trails, an active commercial town center, all accessible with public transit, is a real longshot in New England, maybe in the entire country. You can get to some ocean or beach towns. Boothbay was suggested. Also Ogunquit, maybe Kennebunkport, but I am not sure how close the bus or Amtrak gets. You might consider Portsmouth, NH or Portland, ME. You will be at the water, may be able to kayak in calm ocean bay or harbor, possibly ocean. Lots of commercial on water activites. Swimming in the two P towns will not be easy. Might find an apartment or condo on VRBO, et al. And forget about getting to the woods or mountains to hike.

You might check Dartmouth Coach. See if they stop in New London, NH. There is a lovely lake a fairly decent downhill walk from the center of town, Pleasant Lake. There is an in of the same name on the lake. It is also ringed by private houses. The inn makes kayaks, etc., available to its guests. You might even get someone to get you over to Mt. Sunapee or another local hiking trail. You might also seemifnthe bus will stop ar Mascoma Lake, but I would be dubious.

AtBearTree mentioned Pittsburg, which is the northern most town in NH. Beautiful up there with several prisitne lakes, with many beautiful full ser ice inns and cottages. But I don't think the bus goes that far north. Just to Berlin in NH and St. Jihnsbury in VT. And again there are nearly 1000 lakes in NH, but few of them right in the center of a town, and none that I can think of that have a bus stopping inthe town, too. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
New London
New London
New Hampshire
Sunapee
Sunapee
New Hampshire
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

It might help if ms_scotsgirl could define what she means by "walking distance."

For example, in New London, I know the Dartmouth Coach stops at the Park-n-Ride lot off of Exit 12 at the intersection of Route 11 and Route 103A -- it would be a good two-mile walk alongside a relatively open (high-speed) road to get into the town center from there, and then another mile or two down to the Pleasant Lake Inn. Certainly do-able by fit young people used to walking. Of course from that bus stop you would be a lot closer to the village of George's Mills (within the town of Sunapee) and the north end of Lake Sunapee...

Mentioned in this post
New London
New London
New Hampshire
Sunapee
Sunapee
New Hampshire
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

Thanks Harborfield. I was offering my suggestion based on the assumption that the bus stops in town, not 2 miles out.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

NextStopIs asked in post #5 above about hiker shuttles. The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) operates a shuttle in WMNF although it is expensive (in my opinion) and service is pretty limited. It does connect with Concord Coach in Lincoln. More information here:

www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm

9. Re: Help: Where are good places to rent cottage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:15