We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foliage trip - Help!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Foliage trip - Help!

Coming from abroad. Arriving at Boston 29/09/2014 (evening) and leaving from Boston 15/10/2014 (midnight).

A couple in our 50's hoping for a vacation with lovely colors, nice daily hiking trails (moderate), scenic drives , nice villages/towns, good country food and of course some shopping (+ crafts).

I put together a plan in this order : BOSTON (2 days) 30-31/09,

shopping at One Premium Outlets Boulevard Wrentham (1 day) 01/10 ,

Green Mountains (3 days) stay in Manchester/Bennington or maybe Ruthland (to go north and south) 02-04/10 ,

Lake Placid/Whiteface Mountain/Ausable Chasm (2 days) 05-06/10,

Burlington/Stowe/Smuggler's Notch (3 days) 07-09/10,

White Mountains (5 days) 10 -14/10,

drive back to Boston (suggestions?) 15/10.

This plan hits a festival in Manchester on Oct 4'th and Stowe on 10'th.

After reading in this forum I've got the feeling that my plan will miss the peaks and driving in the wrong direction. I'm sure it's lovely before and after but my question is for how long?

Maybe I should leave out Lake Placid and drive to Stowe on the 5'th ?

Should I start with the White Mountains but then will timing still be good for Stowe.

The festivals would be nice to attend but not a must.

Is there a chance of finding a B&B if we don't order in advance. We want to be a little felxible according to foliage reports.

Thanks for your help!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foliage trip - Help!

Your dates should be close to ideal throughout the region you're exploring. Don't worry about that. But do not fail to book your lodgings in advance.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foliage trip - Help!

Did you know there are Premium Outlets in Merrimack, NH? They opened in the last year or two. Going there would be more or less on your way whereas Wrentham is a detour. Merrimack seems to have fewer stores, but perhaps it includes the ones you're looking for. Note: I've never been to either of the outlets. Also, as you probably know, Manchester, VT has lots of outlets (I've been to those). If you could take away the Wrentham day add a day to VT, you'd have the flexibility to use a rainy day (should you have any ;-) as you shopping day (you and many others, that is!).

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foliage trip - Help!

Be aware that 11-12-13 October in 2014 is the three-day Columbus Day holiday weekend in the U.S. -- it is traditinally considered "the" major weekend of the fall foliage season in northern New England, meaning even higher demand on lodging, restaurants etc in the White Mountains that weekend. While the desire to be flexible in your travel plans and accomodations is understandable, the real issue about northern New England lodging during foliage season is a simple case of supply and demand. The number of people from outside the region wanting to come see the foliage generally far exceeds the lodging capacity in the area.... Some of the people planning to come see the 2014 foliage made their lodging reservations when they were here last Fall for the 2013 foliage. Waiting to try to make your reservations on a day-to-day basis may result in your spending inordinate amounts of time each day trying to find accommodations for that night (or the next), and driving many miles out of your way just to find a vacancy... remember, in rural northern New England, "the next town" can be 10-15 miles of rural, two-lane driving away from wherever you are.... It's not too soon to be making reservations now....

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
469 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foliage trip - Help!

May I suggest Jackson NH as a base for discovering the White Mountains. It is very charming and minutes from the best restaraunts shopping and attractions in the area.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
62,403 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foliage trip - Help!

Agreeing. Rather than fret about whether you'll be early or late for best colors, you need to get busy booking lodging. Many of the best and most popular places have been booked since last October.

Agreeing also that Jackson or North Conway are the ideal base for the White Mountain segment of your trip.

6. Re: Foliage trip - Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about New Hampshire
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now