We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tilton, NH to White Mountains

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
769 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Tilton, NH to White Mountains

Hi, this september we're(2 adults in our 50's) staying in the Tilton, NH area. I was looking for a scenic daytrip to the White Mountains. Our plan was to drive to Conway.(please suggestions on most scenic drive)

From there take the Kancamagus Hwy to Lincoln. Next to Warren, Plymouth, Ashland. From Ashland take the 132 back to Tilton.

What are your thoughts about this trip? All suggestions and tips are very welcome! (We like to drive, quaint towns, nature,small hikes)

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Tilton
Tilton
New Hampshire
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Plymouth
Plymouth
White Mountains, NH
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tilton, NH to White Mountains

I would take Route 3 from Tilton north to Meredith, then turn northeast on Route 25 and follow it to where it meets Route 109 in Moultonborough. Turn left on 109 at the Old Country Store, go 4-5 miles to the junction of Route 113 in Center Sandwich. At that corner, visit Sandwich Home Industries for wonderful handmade crafts of all sorts. Take 113 through North Sandwich, Wonnlancet, Tamworth, and Ossipee to Rout 16 north to North Conway.

Mentioned in this post
Tilton
Tilton
New Hampshire
Meredith
Meredith
White Mountains, NH
Moultonborough
Moultonborough
New Hampshire
Ossipee
Ossipee
New Hampshire
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
769 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tilton, NH to White Mountains

Thank you very much, wpsaukee! I did some research, and it looks like a very nice route. I had a hard time finding Wonnlancet though!

Could you have mixed up Ossipee with Chocorua, NH?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Ossipee
Ossipee
New Hampshire
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tilton, NH to White Mountains

As a matter of fact, I did mean Chocorua. Sorry about that (although a ride through Ossipee would offer its own rewards).

Wonalancet, on which I committed a typographical error above (sorry about that, too), is basically just a country church on the edge of a meadow with the mountains as a backdrop. You would pass by on the ride from North Sandwich to Tamworth if you followed an improved set of my directions and took 113A, rather than 113, from North Sandwich. Route 113A rejoins 113 in Tamworth, and you can then pick up 113 to Chocorua.

I messed up my suggestion more than a little, but I think if you navigate to this area you won't be disappointed. If you find you have the time and the inclination, check out Castle in the Clouds (in Moultonborough) as well.

Mentioned in this post
Ossipee
Ossipee
New Hampshire
Castle in the Clouds
Castle in the Clouds
496 Reviews
Moultonborough, NH
Moultonborough
Moultonborough
New Hampshire
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
769 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tilton, NH to White Mountains

No problem, wpsaukee! Thank you for the great tip on the Castle in the Clouds. We're gonna visit it for sure. Great views, waterfall and hikes.

Maybe you have some tips on the rest of our trip?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Castle in the Clouds
Castle in the Clouds
496 Reviews
Moultonborough, NH
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tilton, NH to White Mountains

You shouldn't miss Franconia Notch, just north of Lincoln. You've already targeted the Kancamagus Highway; other popular scenic drives that are often incorporated into a loop with the Kanc are Route 302 through Crawford Notch, and Bear Notch Road, which connects Bartlett (on 302) to the Kanc. But you talked about a day trip, and to do all of this in one day would be difficult.

Again, though, you've already said you plan to drive to Lincoln; it would be a mistake not to take the short trip northward to see Franconia Notch.

Mentioned in this post
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
88 Reviews
Franconia, NH
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Kancamagus Highway
Kancamagus Highway
2,806 Reviews
North Conway, NH
Bartlett
Bartlett
White Mountains, NH
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
769 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tilton, NH to White Mountains

Franconia Notch looks amazing. We're going to visit it, for sure. Thanks again for that tip!

As you already mentioned the loop will be to much to do in 1 day, but when the weather is ok in september, we might just stay another day to drive the 302.

Thank you,

Mentioned in this post
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
88 Reviews
Franconia, NH
7. Re: Tilton, NH to White Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:15