We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

Washington, DC
10 posts
Save Topic
Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

Please help! We are a late 20’s couple seeking advice on a long weekend beach vacation.

(1) We’re coming from DC and are willing to go anywhere along Virginia coast up to Jersey since they are all about a 3-4 hour drive.

(2) We’d prefer the Ocean over the Bay because we’d like waves.

(3) We’d like a beach that isn’t too crowded. We don’t want beach chairs lined side by side and no room for recreation like Frisbee or kite flying.

(4) That said, we’d like place where we could go to dinner and then out for the evening. We’re worried about trying to avoid a ‘noisy’ beach and ending up somewhere advertised as quiet tipping towards retirement. Nightlife doesn’t have to be on a large scale of Atlantic City (as non-gamblers we actually didn’t like AC) but we’d like some nightlife options.

(5) Here’s the hard one: We’d love to go somewhere where we can stay in a small beach cottage/cabin/bungalow. Ideally we’d love something small and oceanfront. It can be a rent by owner or part of a complex, but we’d prefer standalone, as he is home on a very short stint from overseas, a bit of space and privacy would be nice.

We’d love to finally get some help from real people and not all these internet sites that always say their town’s beach is best for us without knowing our needs. Any beaches you could recommend that fit those qualities and any specific places you can recommend for #5 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

Most cottages at the Jersey Shore are seasonal rentals so that is a problem, but if you are willing to forego that option than I would recommend Monmouth county : Long Branch, Ocean Grove, Avon-by-the-Sea, Belmar, Spring Lake, Sea Girt, or Manasquan.

visitmonmouth.com/page.asp…

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

I can't say I agree that most cottages in NJ are seasonal. I think rather the opposite where we are on LBI. On LBI the areas that seem to fit your bill would be Holgate (the southern most tip of the island with many weekly rentals right on the beach) or Barneget Light (the northern most tip of the island). I would also look into Cape May. You can drive up the eastern shore of DE and take the ferry to Cape May (my kids love that trip). Cape May can get busy, but I am sure the experts there could recommend less crowded beaches. I have never been to the DE beaches, but have friends who love Bethany Beach, and it has been on my list of "want to check it out".

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
355 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

I've always been a fan of the Wildwood/Wildwood Crest beaches. Unfortunately I'm not really sure if you can rent cottages around there, but they have a ton of cute motels, most of which are right on the beach or across the street from the beach. I've never had a problem getting a good spot on the sand near the water and the long stretch of sand from the ocean up to the hotels leaves plenty of space for kite flying and frisbee tossing. There are plenty of restaurants and bars in the neighborhood as well as a boardwalk for strolling around and people watching. Not to mention you are a short drive from both Cape May and Atlantic City. Another plus is that you don't have to pay to get on the beach (like at Belmar, Pt. Pleasant, etc) or have a beach pass.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
422 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

I would definately try Cape May. You can rent anything there. The beach is huge and clean--only downfall is it costs to go on the beach--a couple $$s for a beachtag.

There are a ton of nice restaurants there and also tons of things to do.

washington dc
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

Please post back after your trip. I am in very close to the same situation and would love to here about your find! Best of Luck.

Nj
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

Have you considered Strathmere NJ, very quiet , cottages are available, Deauville Inn, (bar on water) Sea Isle City next town nightlife that is very muched geared to 20 somethings, then on the other side you have OC, a dry town, beaches are busy, but a night on the boardwalk is always fun. FYI cottages are rented through local real estate agnecies, or try online

Washington, DC
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

I just wanted to let others know, we ended up in Wilwood, New Jersey. The beach was nice, atmopshere was fun. We walked the strip, made a trip down to Cape May, went whale watching, etc. It was a good mix of being isolated and being out with others.

What was most amazing was the place we stayed. http://www.theseagypsy.com/

The Sea Gypsy is an amazing B&B for people who are looking for something more modern than the traditional Victorian decor. The had beach gear, a hot tub, yummy breakfast, bicycles, everything. We're planning to go back there next summer!

8. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2008, 20:09
9. Re: Best eastern shore beach for young couple getaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 15:17