We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stone harbor or avalon???

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
stone harbor or avalon???

My girlfriends and I .... 4 women from mid 30s to mid 40s... are planning a long week-end get away in late June or early July to the Jersey shore.

I'm wondering if anyone can help us select the right spot for us. We are not 20somethings and are not interested in the meat market nite life. Yet, we still like to go out to hear music and have drinks. Also, a great beach is essential. Shopping and nice restaurants are also important.

So....any suggestions? Thanks much!

Flourtown, PA
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stone harbor or avalon???

Places to stay - Windrift Hotel, Golden Inn, Concord Inn, Desert Sands. Windrift, Golden Inn and Desert Sands all have decent restaurants/bars. I think the Windrift is very popular with your/my age group. All four of these hotels are located on like 78th or 79th St. in Avalon. Avalon becomes Stone Harbor somewhere right after that area. Street numbers do not start over once you hit Stone Harbor. 96th is the famous shopping area. very nice area - shops of all kinds; and also several restaurants and bars. Henny's is very nice in that area.

Southern N J
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stone harbor or avalon???

Stay in any one of those hotels, they are right between Avalon and Stone Harbor. One town blends right into the other. The shopping is better in Stone Harbor. 96 th street has all kinds of shopping and dining places. A few bars also. Both beaches are virtually the same. You can visit both towns with no problem. Go and have fun.

3. Re: stone harbor or avalon???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2005, 13:57
Flourtown, PA
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stone harbor or avalon???

I really would stick with Avalon or Stone Harbor.

new jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stone harbor or avalon???

Avalon / Stone Harbor - waste of time and money

Northeast...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stone harbor or avalon???

Stone Harbor is for the wealthy from the Main Line in Philadelphia to show off their money. Avalon is a much friendlier place, neither one really has much of a "nite life", but Atlantic City is just 30-45 minutes up the Parkway.

Both have great beaches, but you'll have to go to A.C. or inland for shops.

And don't forget, buy your beach tags NOW (most municipalities will mail 'em to you) to save $$.